S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hardcore 1st Gen'r
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've dove into a big project of redoing my dash. i got another dash from an older s10 than mine for the smooth bottom on the dash. it also has the vents for ac so i can add it later. the top portion of the dash is going to be in fiberglass and painted to match the outside of the truck (which will be blue with a red pearl) i'm smoothing it over and replacing the gauge cluster with V.D.O gauges. i'm doing a flame design with a polished chevy emblem and fiber optic lighting behind the flames.

here's what i want the fininshed product to look like.

here is the dash after deciding to remove the top lip.

after cutting off the lip

·
Hardcore 1st Gen'r
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i removed the plastic/vinyl to start prepping for fiberglass.

i've started making the flame design. here is the outline and the fiber-optics.

here is the pillar pod in a very rough test fit.

i'll keep it posted as i work on this.

·
Visual-Insanity.org
249 Posts
Thats gonna look good man... keep posting updated pictures as you take them - I'm curious how its going to turn out

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
sweet. i'd be interesting to see that fiber optic bowtie. i like it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nice! This is true hot rodding; conceive the project and do it yourself. It sure looks like you're doing it all right so far. I can't wait to see the end result!

-Chris

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
sounds awesome dude :thumbup: more info on the fiber optics would be good too :)

·
Hardcore 1st Gen'r
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the compliments. i want to go with something different and everything is going good so far. i just picked up the fiber-optics at spencers for like $15. i'm gonna re-wire it to run off a switch connected to the battery. the fiber optics change color and it looks pretty cool. oughta be pretty neat when i get it finished. the flame is gonna be made from the plastic netted form (in pic) the fiber optics are run through this and secured in place. a cotton type material is gonna be added over this and finally tweed over this. it should be a three dimensional type flame. the ends of the fiber-optics will show through the tweed and give the impression of the flame burning. i'm getting ready to order the polished chevy emblem.

·
Hardcore 1st Gen'r
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*UPDATE*
well, i pulled the vent ductwork which i am cleaning the dirt and dust out of and i got rid of all the old wiring that came with the dash. the dash is now just a shell. i'm in the process of adding a little extra bracing to the dash and i've cut some wooden forms out to start the fiberglass work. i finished buying all the fiberglass supplies today too. the only problem i'm running into is that i can't start laying fiberglass until i get the dash vents and speedo, tach and gas gauge. i need to precut some openings and i don't know the correct dimensions yet. the vents should be ordered shortly but the gauges are a different story. they are a little pricey and i gotta buy books for school this semester so it looks like there might be a little delay. overall it's coming along nicely. don't have the newest pics developed but there will be more on the way.

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
get pics of that, i just re painted mine, you went all out, im afraid too, i guess maybe when i get some time.keep us posted with the pics, your gonna have a killer 1st gen!

·
Registered
433 Posts
i'm currious to know how it's coming...

awaiting photos..
chris

my project is still going to...

·
Hardcore 1st Gen'r
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i've been on a delay. my exhaust fell off and cracked my roll pan weld so there has been some unexpected bills and i need to get my gauges before i can lay the fiberglass. i made some forms but i want to get the correct sizing on the gauge holes before i go any further. hope to get some new pics soon.

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
instrument cluster

i've been curious as to how easy or not easy to replace the existing cluster with another one, i saw that pixelmonkey put a tach and a speedo in his first gen to completely replace the cluster, i'd like to shoot for something like that, has anybody else done anything similar?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Re: instrument cluster

whitebowtie9 said:
i've been curious as to how easy or not easy to replace the existing cluster with another one, i saw that pixelmonkey put a tach and a speedo in his first gen to completely replace the cluster, i'd like to shoot for something like that, has anybody else done anything similar?
actually i've seen another close to it... check for member proflo (or something close) from lake ozark missouri. the metal you see in mine is .080 aluminum (brushed) and the holes match the guages to 1/32 of an inch so everything is tight! what i did is removed the old cluster, matched the angles, and cut the dash (inside) where the old cluster was supported.

all it takes is time, thought, and a really big book of curse words!
chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts