S-10 Forum banner

My bent Boyds!!

4K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  Indigo99LS 
#1 ·
Does anyone out in S-10 Forum land know if Boyd Coddington Wheels have a system where you can turn in a bent rim and in turn get another for a minimal cost?? I just noticed my rim this evening was bent in around the lip. Not bad enough to let air out but its very unsitely. Hopefully they have some sort of dealy since these daarn rims are kinda pricey. Thanks to anyone in advance fo any info....Peeeze

#4 ·
Another casualty

Sounds like your another casualty who has bent a Boyd wheel.Their are reasons why Boyd's are cheaper than everyone else's.I know a guy who bent one with a 255-45-18 tire on it.

#6 ·
So Boyds are notorious, eh??

Well I spent around 2400 $$$ on my 18" Stingrays which included my 40 series Nitto 555's. And that was with a discount from Discount Tire.:thumbup: Well I hope those things hold up until I get my new rig in about a year. Buying a Lexus...hehe:D

#7 ·
Well I just got my 17x8 Billet Specialties GTX-02's shipped to my door for $1115.I could have gotten a set of Boyd's for $925 shipped.But these wheels are polished on both sides and the 18x8 Boyd Timeless 5's I had couldn't hold a candle to these wheels.Plus the guy I talked to at Dealer's Sportruck told me Boyd wheels are having problems with the welds breaking on the back of their wheels.Plus I have read this on some forums of fellow truck owners who have had this problem.Why you think their 20's are so much cheaper than everyone else's?Hell they aren't welding them up all the way.

#9 ·
BADRIDES said:
Well I just got my 17x8 Billet Specialties GTX-02's shipped to my door for $1115.I could have gotten a set of Boyd's for $925 shipped.But these wheels are polished on both sides and the 18x8 Boyd Timeless 5's I had couldn't hold a candle to these wheels.Plus the guy I talked to at Dealer's Sportruck told me Boyd wheels are having problems with the welds breaking on the back of their wheels.Plus I have read this on some forums of fellow truck owners who have had this problem.Why you think their 20's are so much cheaper than everyone else's?Hell they aren't welding them up all the way.

You will have NO trouble with Billet Specialties. They are awesome. I have had atleast 3 sets.

Stef

#10 ·
Stay away from cast wheels.These are definately the cheaper made billet wheels.Eagle wheels are cast and I know a guy who knocked a big chunk out of his wheel when he hit a curb running like 5mph.

#12 ·
The Boyd cast wheels might be a better quality than say the Eagle cast wheels.But after you have a set of Billet Specialties or Budnik's you won't have anything else.

#16 ·
yikes i was gonna get an 18" rim now i think i'm gonna go with a 17 and bigger tires.....scarin' the $hit outa me....

#22 ·
strider dont worry about it....take care of your truck and it will take car of you....corvettes have about he same size wheels at least in the back and i never heard of a corvette bending a rim....besides all those ricers with 18's are usually running like 225/35....and they dont have problems if there care ful.....thats the same size i'm thinking of getting, just watch your tire pressure and avoid potholes....once u get them pm me i got some questions :)

#24 ·
Some of you guys need to go to school...lol. A true billet wheel will bend the easiest. Billet is soft. Cast wheels are actually stronger( I had American Torque Thrust 2's and they never bent). Most "billet" comes from the same place, and all you have to look for as far as "quality" in manufacturing, is what kind of aluminum it is. you want to make sure it is t-5056(aircraft grade). Boyds are nice, billet specialties are nice, budniks are nice, intros are nice, colorado customs are nice, etc etc. There is no such thing though as the "unbendable" wheel, especially with larger diameter wheels, lowprofile tires. Take any wheel on the same Michigan road, with the same tire, and every billet wheel will bend. Ive had all of them except Budniks-and they ALL bend.

#25 ·
Forged wheels are the strongest of the three types.

#26 ·
i'm looking at the order form for boyds and it says 6061 t-6 billet alum. is that better then t5056? or better or worse or f*ck it and buy the damn things and run em till they are square? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.