S-10 Forum banner
161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Yeah, Max, runs great. Only issue is I have to tap the throttle before I start it or it will idle too low or not want to start. Like setting the choke on a carb. Weird, considering it’s EFI, but I can live with it.

·
Boozebag
10,315 Posts
Coolish ^^^
The Wiener truck idles like poo until it warms up - so I know what you're dealing with.
Funny... injection with an auto choke... :p

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Finally sucked it up and tore the dash apart to get all the mouse nesting and turds out of the heater box.

Oof.

Packed full.

So. Many. Turds.

This is what caught fire when I tried to use the heat.

A basketball sized wad of nesting, thousands of turds, a pen, a matchbook, and religious medallion. Pretty good haul.
Reassembly tomorrow, and Thursday if necessary.

·
Boozebag
10,315 Posts
I had a Subaru Legacy that was so bad, your eyes watered from the stench.
I junked it...

I bet the heat and A/C work a little better now.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Oddly enough, no. Blower barely moves air on any speed. I’ll check tonight whether it’s a resistor, motor, or just a bad connection somewhere. Then I need to find a belt to bypass the smog pump, and convert the ac to 134, and cross my fingers everything else is good.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Ha. Very true. No, looks like the motor can be replaced from under the hood. I actually just got done testing shit, and I’m not entirely sure what it is. I can’t find a good wiring diagram, but I’m only getting around 5v to the motor, no matter what speed. Pulled the resistor, which was what was actually catching the mouse nest on fire

and checked for voltage. I get 12v on the red wire, which seems like low speed, no matter where the control lever is. So maybe a control unit?? I’m hitting up the junkyard tomorrow to grab everything I can from that Grand Marquis I posted earlier. Guess we’ll see what happens.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
The blower motor control switch was unplugged for some reason. It only had low speed before I took the dash apart, and these old ford connectors are a bitch to disconnect, so it’s not something that I did. It is interesting, though, since none of the dash had ever been apart, and everything works properly.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Yeah, things definitely could’ve gone south really quick.
I’ve had the windows down all week to really air the thing out. It was supposed to rain off and on all weekend, so of course the passenger window stopped working again. Guess I’ll finally swap in the motor I bought a month ago.
Tore the door panel off and found this hackery.

Outputs coming over from the master switch, jumped to the outputs of the passenger switch. I think someone misdiagnosed it as a bad switch, and this was their solution. Disconnecting them didn’t help or hurt, so who knows? The cut wires I’m holding go to the lock actuator. That would explain the front locks not working. I bet the drivers door is the same. Also, the motor is wrong. Great. Some of the listings said part numbers may be reversed side to side on some cars. Guess mine is one of those cars. Gonna have to see if NAPA can get me the right one…which is actually a left one…
The door isn’t nearly as rotted as I expected, considering the entire bottom 4” is patched over.

Just one small hole that I could see.

Gave it its first bath today, too.

Of course it rained less than an hour later.

161 - 180 of 182 Posts