S-10 Forum banner
141 - 160 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
At least it wasn't something like...."Well, turns out I was forgetting that you have to put the key in it and turn it".
I had one of those moments this week lol. Couple of people at work out sick so I'm helping move in cars at the end of the day. Get into a Fiat and it's dead. Fine, happens regularly especially in this weather. Go back in and grab the booster. Hook it up and still nothing. WTF? Tell one of the other guys to get some pushers to move it. He gets in and it fires right up. Well thats weird. "Did you push in the clutch?"

I did not. And my daily driver is a manual so I really had a brain fart. Whoops.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Side pipes??
Ultra CHEESE... (n)
Well, that’s just like, your opinion, man.
I think at some point all of us have embraced the cheese when it comes to modifying a vehicle. You know you have, Maxxy. :p
I think the universe is telling me I need to start collecting old Panthers

Lincoln was there when I found the wagon, but the Mercury is a recent addition. It’s an 87. Similar condition and mileage to the wagon. If I had room, I’d be tempted to buy it whole. But, it will make a nice donor. I’m going back tomorrow for the front bumper and a bunch of door trim to replace the beat up stuff on mine.

·
Boozebag
10,315 Posts
Ha^^^
Point taken

I try to stay inside the parameters of (un) cheese most of the time...

Like a HUGE wing on the end of a totally stock Honda Civic
Yeah, I saw that running around Baton Rouge...
Cheese...

Your BBW has tasteful additions. Wheels and tires (y)
Simulated wood grain - Sort of (y)

I had an 88 AMC Eagle that was black with a roof rack and wood grain.
I stripped the roof rack and wood grain. It was totally black
A buddy called it "The Mafia Car"
I wish I still had that POS. Last year before AMC was eaten by MOPAR/ Chrysler.
Had every option in it.

BTW, that doesn't look like ABC junk yard. They ar way too modern...

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Yay, more problems! Ran great all week, to and from work. Then, Friday on my way home from the junkyard it started not wanting to idle. Would run fine with just a little throttle, but wouldn’t idle at all. So, I did the smart thing and actually went out and bought a code reader. Best $30 I could’ve spent. EGR position sensor code. I was gonna just test and replace the sensor, but thankfully the whole valve needed to be removed to take it off.

That’ll do it! I had just pulled and cleaned this thing maybe 100 miles ago, the last time it wouldn’t idle. But, I did it again.

All better. I can imagine how gunked up this engine is inside. Good thing I’m ditching the entire top end pretty soon.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Well I guess I know why the egr was disconnected when I bought it.

One day of driving and it’s stuck open, packed with chunks of carbon again. Cleaned it out, reinstalled it and left it disconnected. And it compensated by revving to the damn moon. I can’t wait to carburate this pile.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Well, today has been a rollercoaster ride. Had a very successful trip to the junkyard. Or so I thought.

Snagged the near perfect front bumper, unused jack and tire iron, and marginally better than mine cowl weatherstripping.
The bumper swap wasn’t nearly as straightforward as I had hoped. The filler panels are sandwiched between the chrome outer skin and the actual bumper structure, so both bumpers had to be completely blown apart.

It was at this point, while comparing a couple pieces of trim, that I realized the two bumpers were in fact different, and the new one wouldn’t fit. Two plus hours of work and $100 spent for nothing. The Mercury grille is a few inches narrower, so the peak in the middle of the bumper is also a few inches narrower, and isn’t even close to lining up with my front end. So I figured I’d do what I could to improve the original one and reinstall it.
Wire wheeled and painted the inside.

Cleaned all the surface rust off the bottom edge.

This actually came out a lot better than I expected. I thought most of the chrome would be gone.
The main reason for replacing it was because it was bent pretty good. Except it wasn’t. Just the mounting bracket was.

Once I unbolted it from the car, the bumper relaxed to its original shape. There’s a bit of a dent, but that’ll be covered by the license plate. I’m just gonna throw a few washers behind it to shim it straight, and it should be fine.
Hopefully I can return the new bumper. If not, I’ll clean it up the same way, put it all back together and try to sell it.
I should have the car all back together tomorrow afternoon.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Yup.
It’s all back together, despite putting up a hell of a fight.

Not quite perfectly level, but a lot better than it was. I ended up having to pull the grille and headlight bezels off to get the bumper back on. Was pulling it all apart, cleaning everything up and reassembling it, and wrestling it back onto the car worth it? Eh, maybe. At least I wasn’t bored the last couple days…

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,591 Posts
Congrats, and it looks good. You just need to balance out the hood with another matching secondary ornament (photo 2)! :p

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Well, I’ve driven it every single day for over two weeks, including a pretty decent highway trip today. Zero issues. The random fast idle problem went away. It fires right up every morning and just cruises down the road. I’ve been getting honks and waves and thumbs up almost every time I take it out. And it’s been putting in work. Hauled a bunch of stuff to my parents’ today. Took nearly $35 worth of empties back to the liquor store yesterday.

For those of you bad at math, that’s nearly 700 bottles and cans! No problem for the BBW. :LOL:

141 - 160 of 182 Posts