S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 chevy S10 3in front lift and 2in rear lift 4.3 v6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive own my truck for 4 years previous owner put a sound system in there thats connects straight to the battery with an 8 gauge wire ive been through 3 batteries cause the system would drain it i put a new alternator in after first year now when i dont drive my truck more then 2 days battery drains and makes it hard to start the other day i was acceleratingand my gauge lights started dimming

do I have to run 2 battery setup?
or
do i get performance alternator?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,797 Posts
Moved to Electrical/Lighting.

Welcome to the site.
If you're using talk to text, it's not working v very well. Punctuation is a must here. it makes reading your posts much easier.

Reactions: SoCal4.3
40,553 Posts
Does that wire power an amp? If so that's how you wire an amp. It shouldn't turn on until the radio turns on so it shouldn't be causing any drain on the battery. Most parts stores will test your charging system for free, not sure if that's an option.

·
Registered
2000 chevy S10 3in front lift and 2in rear lift 4.3 v6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does that wire power an amp? If so that's how you wire an amp. It shouldn't turn on until the radio turns on so it shouldn't be causing any drain on the battery. Most parts stores will test your charging system for free, not sure if that's an option.
yeah is powers the amp illget it checked out first

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had an amp go bad, same symptoms. Mine would flatten the battery within eight hours. Try unhooking the amp and see if it starts fine in a few days. If it starts fine, remove/replace the amp. As for the dash dimming, what size amp is it? I had issues with the stock amp (after 80K miles or so, 500w amp) with the lights dimming when the bass would hit, however only while at idle. Installed an alt from an H2(160amp vs 100amp). No more problems.

·
Registered
212 Posts
wouldn't hurt to double check your alternator for proper charging, i did a dual e-fan upgrade in my 01 sonoma after a deer attack took out drivers side front corner radiator support took out the original 75 amp alternator to a 135 amp for about $80, only modification was a bracket for lower bolt mount about 3" long , and a belt slightly longer , back to subject lol , charge your battery up and go thru looking for the drain, also verify your ignition completely cuts off. once in a while think mine is off when i pull key out not noticing that the batt light is still on and steering wheel not locked not good to have to jump truck when pushing time to get to work, good luck with your drain hunt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts