S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Been there Done it
7,117 Posts
Which motor does it need? TBI or CPI? If it's a TBI a 5.7 TBI is a fairly simple swap, as swaps go. Not as simple as just replacing the 4.3, but not extremely difficult.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which motor does it need? TBI or CPI? If it's a TBI a 5.7 TBI is a fairly simple swap, as swaps go. Not as simple as just replacing the 4.3, but not extremely difficult.
I have a CPI ,and I all ready bought one ... I thought about using a 5.7 or 4.8 but I came a cross a very nice running 94 s10 2wd with a 4.3 Vortec and with 4 brand new tires for my GMC Sonoma 4x4 I paid $350. for the truck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A rod knock it still runs I want to rebuild it . I have a another motor to replace it until I can rebuild the original.
The zr2 motors have strut rod bosses on the V sides of the block , they bolt to bottom aluminum cover of the transmission . I guess it for less flexing in the drive train

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
307 Posts
We took our original CPI engine and bored it .030 over, blue printed and balanced it. Put it back together with a high volume oil pump. Be sure to look for cracks around the engine valley above the balance shaft and lifters as it is very common for the block to crack there. We had to pin each end and weld a crack shut. I would recommend 1.6 ratio roller tip rockers with the stock camshaft and higher number axle ratios as this engine likes to run above 2000 rpm for any power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We took our original CPI engine and bored it .030 over, blue printed and balanced it. Put it back together with a high volume oil pump. Be sure to look for cracks around the engine valley above the balance shaft and lifters as it is very common for the block to crack there. We had to pin each end and weld a crack shut. I would recommend 1.6 ratio roller tip rockers with the stock camshaft and higher number axle ratios as this engine likes to run above 2000 rpm for any power.
Thanks for the info...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts