S-10 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1986 S10
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Excellent...
I used to race big Buicks in Enduro racing on the East Coast (225s, Centurions... remember those? and le Sabers). That and big Pontiacs. They were hard to run off the track...
I used rotted junkers that could be dumped after a race

Yeah, I know about the M21 behind the Nailhead. I didn't get the 4 speed with the engine. I had the M21.

I also had a 421 Pontiac out of a very rotted '65 2+2. I put it in a '71 Nova SS I had a long time ago. I'd give my azz to have that back.
Ever seen a long tail T10? The 2+2 had one.
I have never seen another.

I have several Buick 300s and I also have a 340 4 barrel intake. You're right - rare and Heavy!!
Right now I have more 300/350 parts than 400/430/455 stuff.
I do have the same intake as you - Edelbrock B4B, as well as a Mallory dual point (old) and other stuff -cams, heads etc..

I get it about the 455 flywheel. Buick stuff is not cheap.

I don't know if you've seen these guys:
FW10001 401/425 Buick Nailhead Flywheel
They have some great parts for all sorts of swaps.

I may be interested in some of your Buick clutter. Only prob is I live in hotels. I work for Unkl Sam and travel everywhere.
I am rarely home and need to finish too many projects.
I guess I should quit and pay attention to all of the stuff that needs to be finished and sold.
I'd have a pretty decent pay check from finished/sold projects...
Just have to find the time

Great to hear about your Buick adventures!

Oh, I also have a 79 LUV with a Buick 3.8 in it... It's totally rust free and in great condition.
Ha! Small world. You and I have quite a lot in common. Yes, I have seen long tail T10's AND Muncies. All the B body cars came with em. In fact, some guy had a long tail M20 on Marketplace here a few months back. They are certainly not very common.

Buick 3.8 swaps on the LUV's was pretty popular. Is yours adapted to the Isuzu trans or does it just have a TH350 behind it? I'd like to do a Kubota or VW diesel swap on mine, but for now the G180 is still running and it's not a high priority. Like I said before, I'm amazed at how much attention that little pickup gets anywhere I take it. Even though it's totally ragged with lichens and moss still growing on it, people love it. Everyone has a LUV story. I found this truck on Marketplace a couple years ago. I bought it and a '77 2wd together. They were both sitting in the woods for more than 20 years in Blacksburg, SC. I did a mechanical restoration on the '79 4wd and didn't disturb any of the Patina. I've never washed it, lol. I had 4 LUV's at one point. Sold the '72 and parted out two. Now I just have the '79 4wd.

I'll post some pics of some of my LUV's later this evening after I get home. Can't access my file sharing site from work.

·
Boozebag
9,969 Posts
Yes, we have a sh*t ton in common.
I still have a 79 LUV that was rehashed in the 80s. I bought it with the Buick conversion done already. It has a TH 350 in it, and an S10 rear end. The front was converted to GM 5 lug pattern, and it has an L88 glass hood on it. (rare nowadays) The body is spotless, and the Buick runs excellent. It must have sat in a barn for a while, and some onion (an interim owner) tried to hack an exhaust onto it. Terrible hack. I think some of the pipe was from a vacuum cleaner...
The headers had heat wrap on them which rotted part of the tubes. I'll end up rebuilding them since I have not been able to find a replacement set.

I also had an 80 recently, it had the usual Chevy 350 /350 swap in it. The engine was pretty warm and would pull high 12s at the 1320. Fun for a POS street rig.
It was a genuine rat machine that surprised lots of Baton Rouge ricers and Dub Doods. It looked like it could hardly go backwards...

I had a '72 in the early 80s that was rotted pretty badly, it was stock with a Weber on it. I used plenty of bondo and tiger hair to plug stuff, didn't think much of it back then. I guess I used close to 1.5 gallons on it...

I'm behind a gov't firewall, so I can't post pix on the site, I can do links though...
I'll try and post some pix later.

I think this will take you to my photobucket pix:
Plenty of weird crap to see there...

·
Registered
1986 S10
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Here’s my ‘72...this truck was rust-free. I got it out of a junkyard near Greenville, SC. It was a Georgia truck originally.

My ‘79 4wd the day I dragged it home.

It was deep in the woods up on that knoll in the background.

This was a 78 model automatic that I parted out.

·
Boozebag
9,969 Posts
Damn Dood...
That 78 looks like an upstate NY salt roasted rig. Way cheese grater.
In the South - there's that much serious rot going on??

'72 is cool. Still have it?

I have a few pix of the nice 79 in my photobucket tag I left behind.
There's also pix of the '80 LUV rat bucket.
Plenty of other rude and weird stuff too.

I have way too much crap.

·
Registered
1986 S10
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I sold the 72 for a pile of money. That thing was really neat. The 78 was actually purchased by the United States Marine Corps and was used on the flightline at Cherry point Marine Corps air Station which is why it was so rusty. It was later purchased by the Columbus county NC school system at a state auction and was used as a maintenance vehicle on a school campus for a number of years. I bought it solely to get the hood off of it… Which was about the only part of the entire vehicle that was not rusted, amazingly.

·
Boozebag
9,969 Posts
Way cool ^^^
The only time I see these LUVs anymore - is at a drag strip in your neighborhood.
They all ended up there.
I've seen some 9 second LUVs in Baton Rouge.

I still think you have an excellent 66 Buick.
Very nice.(y)

My 64 is a rat sitting next to your 66.
I will do it up some day - and it has a really weird original factory color - Champagne.
Going for the 401 Nailhead power/4 speed.

·
Registered
1986 S10
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Speaking LUVs all ending up in my neighborhood - there's a guy that lives on my block that has 7 of them. The one he drives everyday is a 1980 THAT HE BOUGHT NEW. The last time he stopped by the house with it it had 934,XXX miles on it. It's on it's 3rd engine, 2nd transmission and 2nd rearend. He claims he has driven it every single day since the day he bought it. It is as ragged as my '79, if not worse. It is as worn as an old penny. The other trucks he has are all just junk, sitting in the woods. One of them is 4wd, I'm hoping to get the transmission out of it to keep for a spare. They are like hen's teeth.

·
Registered
1986 S10
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Went to the junkyard this morning and scored a nice pair of 28 spline axles for $20.

·
time to get cereal
5,654 Posts
There's a really ratty LUV that drives around in my neighborhood, I can hear it coming because it's usually dragging parts of itself on the ground.

·
Boozebag
9,969 Posts
Went to the junkyard this morning and scored a nice pair of 28 spline axles for $20.
Excellent! Do it up.

Funny, I had an 87 Nissan Sentra that was so rusty...
I had a bumper sticker that my former brother-in-law made up...
"Beware of flying parts"
I saw a few smiles in my rear view.

·
Registered
1986 S10
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I assume that you noticed that the entire floor of the bed in that truck was nonexistent.

·
Registered
1986 S10
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Got my spindles and my springs installed today. Now it is correct. I opted for the 2 inch lowering springs and some Chinese 2 inch drop spindles. Had to do some minor clearancing on the top of the spindle to prevent it from rubbing on the control arm and of course I had to notch the splash shields but other than that they went on perfectly. I need to make a minor camber adjustment and straighten out the tow. Didn’t take any pictures yet but I’ll probably do that sometime tomorrow. Can’t wait to drive it.

·
Registered
1986 S10
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That's sort of what I meant. Like wow!
I think the school system used it for grounds maintenance and I suspect based on some of the materials that I found in the truck that they must’ve hauled fertilizer in the bed of it often. I think that’s why it was so badly rusted. There was literally almost nothing left of the bed. When I went to get that truck I had to put ratchet straps around the bed because I was afraid it was going to fall off on the road as I was hauling it home.

·
Registered
1986 S10
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Here’s a video of me rolling it down the hill into the woods behind my house so that I wouldn’t have to look at it anymore. I disassembled it down there where was and eventually hauled the carcass to the crusher. I put that camper shell on their mainly to hold the bed together lol

·
Boozebag
9,969 Posts
Sad to see another go to the crusher. They are scarce - needless to say.
The only time i see them is at a drag track. Very rare to see on the road.
Didn't have any brakes - did it....

·
Registered
1986 S10
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Sad to see another go to the crusher. They are scarce - needless to say.
The only time i see them is at a drag track. Very rare to see on the road.
Didn't have any brakes - did it....
Nothing from that truck it was salvageable was wasted. I completely disassembled that truck and saved every single usable part. The only thing that went to the crusher was the cab shell and the frame and what was left of the bed. I parted it out.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts