S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my blazer is pretty low, rides fairly stiff and a shitload rattles in my interior, and the exhaust is pretty loud along with wing/road noise, so I have decided to solve all of those issues by doing alot of sound deadening, reparing some broken parts and making a few simple improvements that will make a huge impact in my daily commute comfort.

So far I have started by using quite a bit of Seal & Peal, it does a solid job on the interior for sound deadening and helping stop vibration. I didn't do tons on the interior door panels because I did alot on the actual door skins and I'm just trying to put something there besides sheetmetal and plastic, not create an SPL competion car.
So far I've done the tailgate, my rear-seat delete flaps on the bottom, and the doors now, and it's much more comfortable to ride inside now.

After doing my just passenger side and tailgate with the peel and seal I noticed a solid difference with increased music clarity, reduced outside noise and most notably a less heavily resonating hum from the exhaust that seems to be prevalent in hatchback-style cars.

Here's the repairs I did to my panel, and my improvements, in the image I tried to point out where 2 panels can rub/squeak, and also where my panels broke and were stressed. The biggest issue I have had is right at the mounting point at the panel door handle and door skin, those seems to rip out alot, so I reinforced the hell out of them as you can see in the image.

To make my door stop rattling, I grabbed 2 black felt furniture pads and put them where the rubber stopper on the outside bottom of the door meets the cab. I've also replaced all of the weatherstripping with slightly beefier weatherstripping to help seal the door and stop rattles.

More pictures tomorrow so you don't have to read a story, even though I haven't put it back together it already sounds like I upgraded my car's sound system slightly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks good. What did you use to reinforce your panels, my 96 panels has some broken spots on it and the map pocket has broken off also.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
WTF Super Cheap Peel and Seal!: I looked at the ad for most other stores and they're charging 4X as and much they both say it's from the same manufacturer!

http://www.tooldistrict.com/9aluminumpeelandseal50009bymfmbuildingproducts.aspx

$22 for a 9"x33 1/2" Roll, SOMEONE BUY THIS, usually you only get a 6"x20" roll for about that much, $33 shipped

no problem guys, here's a few more, replacing the weatherstripping helped alot with wind noise, not to mention my driver's door occasionally leaked when it rained, all you have to do is get some gasoline or goof off or something like that that won't hurt the paint anything serious, rip off the old weatherstripping, clean off the old glue and just place the adhesive backed stuff from Lowe's. The weatherstripping has a point at one end and is a bit of a bulb at the other. I put the pointed part facing out and the bulb inside, and the shape creates a great seal. I also added more weatherstripping than what came factory to make a better overall seal.

/\that's not the furniture pad, that's a factory plastic cap, I may have to try placing a felt furniture pad and seeing if it helps at all, but at this point the only time my doors rattle is when I hit a gigantic pothole, so I don't feel much of a need to

for reinforcing I used donor plastic from my old console I cut up to add a second layer of plastic where the panel bolts to the door skin through the 2 holes under the handle.

I'll try to get pictures of the black felt furniture pads, it looks completely factory and it's really easy to place because there is usually a ring from the rubber stopper that sticks on the bottom outside corner of the door.

I don't have any yet of the door skins, but it's pretty simple to just cover as much of the area as you can, replacing your moisture barrier with peel-and-seel is a huge part too for keeping out noise sound and moisture.

You can probably get 3 rolls of peel-and-seel, a pack of furniture feet, and a roll of weatherstripping for about $70 at your local lowe's, which is what I did. The peel and seal was around $20 for a 6"x20' roll, which was enough for to do 1 full door, skin and panel. a 9" x 33 1/2". With careful inspection those furniture pads and weatherstripping will probably be useful on other area of the car.

·
Useless posting member
10,828 Posts
I've been looking at this stuff while at work. We also sell a rubberized waterproofing and sealing foundation coating that can be brushed or sprayed on, I thought about picking up a gallon to use on my floor.

·
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ &#
34,613 Posts
Very good write up. Most everyone has the problem with their door panels and the extra weatherstripping is an excellent addition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts