S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
First want to say thank you I’ve learned a lot on this forum. I’m a very amateur mechanic. I wish I would have posted/made account sooner when I started this build. Most of the hard work have been done. I’m closing in on the last half of the build. Cylinder head has been rebuild and resurfaced. Intake manifold has been cleaned and modified. Much to go on about here. A/C delete, blower and housing delete with block off plate. Custom fabricated single speed “race heater” heater inside factory dash Wiring has been simplified and tucked. Vacuum system harness distributor modified at throttle body (HVAC vent vacuum actuators deleted) all new gaskets and more parts coming in soon. And I have many more photos to share.
3A8FB90A-BFBE-439A-B793-74B458F60424.jpeg
29626999-4A83-4634-AFC9-65C7EFA1D11A.jpeg
D90D878F-3AA9-4F4E-888D-304B44025182.jpeg
B35DFBDD-D047-4649-BD24-B8D4DF632EBF.jpeg
CA51CED2-0361-4EAA-A581-BD8064B10D5C.jpeg
723F1324-93CD-427E-A5D6-659EAD3DF751.jpeg
EEB7094F-FAF6-42F6-B466-B3DF4DF34E4C.jpeg
D12F2DE4-C8DE-41D9-BED8-2116AD904468.jpeg
EAFB40BE-DB17-45F5-AE7E-7F49D852438B.jpeg
585F34E2-2E03-4717-BFC4-AD406A3A0164.jpeg

·
time to get cereal
4,542 Posts
Looks pretty good so far. I'm guessing you're going to use an electric fan? If so, you can chop that accessory bracket up to show the engine off a little more. Gives me another excuse to show off a pic of my engine, lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks pretty good so far. I'm guessing you're going to use an electric fan? If so, you can chop that accessory bracket up to show the engine off a little more. Gives me another excuse to show off a pic of my engine, lol.

Very nice! I really like how it looks! I have some questions. Really dig the header pipe! That plumbing coming off the thermostat housing is super clean and looks very industrial!

1. Did you relocate the power steering or delete?

2. Should I remove the wrap off my header pipe? It’s a brand new stainless header. Many have told me it’s gonna be a headache and that I should leave it unwrapped.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,618 Posts
Very nice! I really like how it looks! I have some questions. Really dig the header pipe! That plumbing coming off the thermostat housing is super clean and looks very industrial!

1. Did you relocate the power steering or delete?

2. Should I remove the wrap off my header pipe? It’s a brand new stainless header. Many have told me it’s gonna be a headache and that I should leave it unwrapped.
Ditch it. If you're worried about heat...Jet Hot or ceramic coating.

·
time to get cereal
4,542 Posts
My truck is manual steering (originally power of course). I never wrapped mine, it doesn't get too hot under the hood. I did switch to a Corsica water inlet though, it switches the heater and lower radiator hoses around and gets you more clearance for the header.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My truck is manual steering (originally power of course). I never wrapped mine, it doesn't get too hot under the hood. I did switch to a Corsica water inlet though, it switches the heater and lower radiator hoses around and gets you more clearance for the header.

very interesting!

I have been strongly considering deleting power steering. I’m hesitant but believe with the weight reduction to the front end it may be completely tolerable. How has your experience been?

·
time to get cereal
4,542 Posts
The manual steering box is super light, the downside is it's 6 turns lock to lock. I've got the Unisteer rack and pinion now, it's still not too bad on effort. I can still make a turn with 1 arm if I need to. Downside of that is that it's pretty expensive (I didn't pay full price but still a lot), and the bump steer still gets worse as you go lower.

I'm eventually going manual brakes too, probably with the 98-02 Camaro front brakes and stock S10 rear discs. Goal is to get the engine compartment as empty and clean as possible.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,618 Posts
The manual steering box is super light, the downside is it's 6 turns lock to lock. I've got the Unisteer rack and pinion now, it's still not too bad on effort. I can still make a turn with 1 arm if I need to. Downside of that is that it's pretty expensive (I didn't pay full price but still a lot), and the bump steer still gets worse as you go lower.

I'm eventually going manual brakes too, probably with the 98-02 Camaro front brakes and stock S10 rear discs. Goal is to get the engine compartment as empty and clean as possible.
Following in Crew Cab Sonoma's foot steps??

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,618 Posts
Got a link? I may have seen what you're talking about but I'm not sure off the top of my head.
He had several threads, but the on e that stuck out was de-nuding the engine comparment. He went so far as to take the balance shaft out of his 4.3. I'll see if I can find it and send you a link.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Removed wrap from header pipe
New Front rotors and hub bearings mounted to spindles ready for install
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
2000 2.2l sonoma Brand new motor
247 Posts
Is that motor built? if so you could always consider a turbocharger.....

Reactions: Bahama_Blue

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just an FYI. The springs on the header go between the bolt head ( after the washer) and the top of the header flange. You will want to tighten it until it seals and the use a jam nut on each one. Looking good btw

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an FYI. The springs on the header go between the bolt head ( after the washer) and the top of the header flange. You will want to tighten it until it seals and the use a jam nut on each one. Looking good btw
Thanks! I had thought it looked off 😂

I have the jam nut in

the flange bolts may in fact be too short.I haven’t torqued them down . but I’m not completely satisfied with it.

The original exhaust bolts had to be grinded off. I assume I could purchase a new set. Springs are ok.

·
time to get cereal
4,542 Posts
Yea, +1 on the header hardware. I've never had a problem with mine leaking. I'm pretty sure the people that do have them hooked up like your picture.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts