S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend has a blazer without a muffler and duals and it sounds sick. i wanna do the same but i heard that it kills mpg and i cant pass IM. what do u guys think?

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
naw man it isnt obnoxiously loud. i was next to him earlier and its got a nice deep rumble to it. nowhere near as load as my friends wrx.

·
Cheers Patron
139 Posts
it shouldnt effect mpg negatively. and you should be fine with inspection the only thing i can think of is maybe it is too loud, shouldnt have a problem with emissions.

the one reason i can think of mpg going down with a new exhaust is that with a new exhaust you tend to get on the gas harder.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would it cause a loss in back pressure?

·
s-series #2?
gone
24,805 Posts
01black4.3 said:
WOuld you run a pipe? Or cut it off at the pipe and put a turndown on it? Either way dont worry about it. :)
i cut it off and stuck a turndown on it. i mightve lost a little low end but i defintly gained a crapload in the 3k-4k range.
but then again i had the 170k+miles stock muffler cut off. wonder what difference cutting that old cat would do for me.

·
Your Mom Goes To College
749 Posts
I had no muffler for about a year on my truck. It IS obnoxiously loud in the cab. I got sick of it, and got a Flowmaster. Yes, you will lose backpressure, and probably get sick and tired of how loud it is. It doesn't even sound good, just loud and raspy once it gets in the higher range.

·
Registered
86 Posts
igot a gutted cat and 40 flomaster on a 4.3, its not that loud, without the muff it was obnoxiously loud though

·
s-series #2?
gone
24,805 Posts
how exactly do you know when ur cat is gutted? i know you keep the engine running and shove a broomstick or sumthing down the cat and ram it around but when do you stop?

·
Molon Labe
5,297 Posts
I hate stock internal engines without mufflers. IMO they sound HORRIBLE. A stock car engine = different story, but a 4.3? I know its a good engine, but come on, be realisitic, its not gonna sound that great wide open. Also as mentioned before, losing low end torque does cut gas mileage and it really doesn't contribute to top end power either without valvework or other serious modifications (I know, I've unbolted mine before the cat for fun once). Pay the $75 and put a muffler on it, loud or not, it'll sound better than no muffler. :end rant:

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the average shop around here wants 400 for a cat back system.... i heard my friends just last night and it sounded fine to me

·
Molon Labe
5,297 Posts
You dont have to get the "catback system" I got my muffler swapped out for 100$ including the price of muffler. Buy the muffler cheaply online somewhere,(I used ebay) and then cut your old muffler out and have a shop weld the new one in using the stock piping, just make sure your new muffler is similar to in/out specs as your factory. Within 1/4" diameter is good enough, the shop can put in reducers to fix that prob.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts