S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have decided against the borla turbo because i am poor. lucky for me my parents noticed my muffler is falling apart and said they will get me a flowmaster muffler for christmas. whats the best series and all that other stuff for a good sound and some horsepower?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The horsepower will be the same it's just how loud you want it. The 3 chamber is quieter and the 2 chamber is louder.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Turbo S10 Xtreme said:
The horsepower will be the same it's just how loud you want it.
Technically, that's probably true, as you're just replacing the muffler, but I would still get the Borla if you can. Flowmaster makes some of the worst flowing aftermarket mufflers out there. Honestly, I don't like the way they sound on small displacement engines, either.

Sell it to your parents this way: The Borla is a stainless muffler, just like the rest of the stock system. If you just put an aluminized Flowmaster on there you'll be replacing mufflers every couple of years. It may or may not be true, but it's a good selling point.

If you are absolutely dead set on a Flowmaster, I would get the 50 series. It will be a bit mellower and will not resonate in the cab as badly as the two-chamber. Plus, the case length is longer than on the 40 series. You need a 19 inch long, offset in/center out muffler to bolt it up to the stock pipes without doing a lot of cutting and welding.

-Chris

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
Chrisbequick said:

Sell it to your parents this way: The Borla is a stainless muffler, just like the rest of the stock system. If you just put an aluminized Flowmaster on there you'll be replacing mufflers every couple of years. It may or may not be true, but it's a good selling point.

-Chris
that is def. true.........with flowmaster you will have to replace it every 5 years and the Borla has a lifetime warranty for thiers also.....the Borla does sound (and IMHO it the tips look badass) better but i'm in the same situation....i have to do what i can with what lil i have

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
sweetbutxtreme said:
that is def. true.........with flowmaster you will have to replace it every 5 years and the Borla has a lifetime warranty for thiers also.....the Borla does sound (and IMHO it the tips look badass) better but i'm in the same situation....i have to do what i can with what lil i have
I have a flowmaster 50 series on a chevy 1/2 ton and its was installed 13 years ago with NO problems. And the truck has never been garaged. The truck has 150.000 miles on it. and a new motor but the flowmaster is still there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts