S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the side walls of my overflow coolant tank there is a muddy substance. I opened the radiator cap and it seemed clean. :dunno:

Another symptom I've recently noticed is a bit of a burning smell for a few seconds after I shut the truck off, when I stand in front of it after I get out. Not a strong burning smell, just a wiff of it.

I haven't noticed any abnormalities with the oil on the dipstick, I haven't really noticed kind of extra smoke out of the exhaust, or burning smell inside the truck. I also haven't seen any temp. gauge fluctuation.

My 1st thought is head gasket. I was told these 2.2 liter engines have that problem right around 80-100K miles. My 1997 has less than 85,000 miles. Any ideas?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
Someone somewhere has mixed regular coolant in with your Dexcool. Thats what happens.

Dexcool coolant, when left alone, does a fantastic job. When messed with, or added to with dis-similar coolants that happens. Clean it up, flush it out. IMO I stay with Dex...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use dexcool also. Not sure that I've ever mixed regular antifreeze with the dexcool. Perhaps in the past it's been done... hopefully that's all it is. What bugs me, is this is the 1st time I'm noticing it. I've owned the truck for 5 or 6 years now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you bring your truck to a quick lube or something they might be topping your reserve tank with the green stuff instead of water or dexcool.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope I do all the work. If there's green stuff in, someone did it while I was working or else while I was sleeping.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the cause of my burning smell. It looks like a little smoke is coming from the valve cover. The gasket must be leaking a bit.

I still haven't found a reason for the muddy substance in the overflow. I opened the radiator cap and started the truck today. I left it run for a few mins and didn't see any gurgling or bubbling. I'm thinking the head gasket is fine... I'm still lost on the brownish muddy like substance all over the side of the coolant overflow tank.

·
Chevrolet Enthusiast
1,149 Posts
Did you (or any previous owners) ever use radiator sealer in it? (Like bars-leak) That causes it to look somewhat muddy.

·
99 4 SHOW & 02 XBLAZE
2,120 Posts
4 banger or a 4.3?could be time for radiator flush,new gaskets,double check the intake manifold they are well known to start leaking on the 4.3 engines.just did mine on the xtreme recently it was leaking and had to take it off and re seal it.all general metainence.hope you find the problem and its easy fix.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't think of anything I ever put in the radiator except once every 8 months or so maybe a tad bit of dexcool.

As stated earlier it's a 2.2. It hasn't had a radiator flush ever... I guess it could be time after 16 years. I'm going to have a pressure test taken and if that revels nothing, I'm just going to flush the radiator and overflow tank, and go from there.

So far I have no issues with the truck. It doesn't seem like it's dogging. (at least no any worse than what they always do) Temp gauge is always normal. If the pressure test doesn't reveal anything, maybe I'll just flush it and forget it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts