S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Master Shake
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I did. I fit my 5" depth 12s into a tiny box (7 1/2" bottom depth, 4 1/2" top depth). Constructed from 3/4" MDF.

·
no more S10
17,421 Posts
wow, those are awsome!
good job on those.
looks cool, whats the width?
could you fit a JL 12 W0 in one of those?

·
Master Shake
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The box is 44" wide, and it's also 15 1/2" tall. Meaning, it will fit like a glove behind the seat of a regular cab S-10. I figure it's got a bit over 5" of mounting depth, so unfortunetly those JL 12W0s likely won't fit (they have a 6" depth).

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Those must have some small diameter magnets or else a large bumped back plate. If those are centered on the face of the box then a sub 5 inches deep will just touch the back of the box with a 3" diameter magnet. If the outter rim of the magnet is only 4.625" deep (say the center vent steps back for your 5 inch mounting depth) than you can fit a sub with a 6" diameter magnet in there. That and when I did my layout before I went retarded and was thinking the sub would be recessed into the face because the last few boxes I've played with were like that. That robbed another 3/4" of depth.

Anyway, just throwing numbers. Definitly looks good. I would DEFINITLY use some polyfill in those boxes, you are going to need every advantage possible because those are so undersized. Let us know how it sounds when done.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Oh yea, one more thing. Do not, DO NOT try and run that Vibe 240 in 2 ohm mono! They aren't the most durable amp when running their rated loads, and if you overload them like that they go straight into protection mode. And if you happen to be Derek and it somehow doesn't trip the protection circuit right away, it lets you know it's over loaded by filling your entire car with smoke.

·
Master Shake
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, the magnets are stepped back a bit from the center, so I would bet that's what makes it possible. Pic below:

And thanks for the heads up on the amp. Although I won't be running it at that setup (I'll be running both channels), but it's good to know.

·
Picture goes here \/
673 Posts
adam728 said:
Actually internally it is 0.529 ft^3, not including sub displacement. So it's about 0.45 ft^3 per sub, only about 1/3 what it should be.
:cool: i didnt feel like doing internal dimensions last night.. and another thing.. my mdf looks nothign like that mdf..

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
That's because he has pressed particle board. It's what most places around here try and give you when you ask for the stuff. It works, but is much lighter and not as rigid. I have a sheet of both in my basement right now. I try and use the pressed particle board for mostly braces and port walls and such, or shorter box ends. It's not bad stuff, chip board or cheap plywood would have been a much worse choice.

·
MECP Certified
403 Posts
NCarolinaS10 said:
wow, those are awsome!
good job on those.
looks cool, whats the width?
could you fit a JL 12 W0 in one of those?
easily fit a 12w0 in one. i put a 12w3 in a reg. cab in my old truck and only lost 2 notches...hit a 146 on the meter too...and that was sealed :D

theres a pic floating around on the forum somewhere...i think its in the for sale forum.

·
Master Shake
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
adam728 said:
It's not bad stuff, chip board or cheap plywood would have been a much worse choice.
That's so true. The other box I have is made from OSB, and not only was it not of high quality, but was a bitch and a half to cut. It was more of luck than building skill that it held together, with the shoddy contstruction.

·
Captain Obvious
19,352 Posts
85S10Eric said:
Muahahaha, they said it couldn't be done...
Holy crap, someone purchased Pyle subs, you're right I thought that couldn't be done, that's like a crime against god...

j/k, good job!

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
94sonoma said:
easily fit a 12w0 in one. i put a 12w3 in a reg. cab in my old truck and only lost 2 notches...hit a 146 on the meter too...and that was sealed :D
He means fit a 12W-0 in a box with those dimensions, that's not happening, as they are 6 inches deep.

What did you power the W-3 with, and where was your spl measured at?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts