S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
just one of those days
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys i have a few questions, and i did a search and it didnt answer my question, I am looking into getting an msd ignition for my 03 extreme for the gas mileage reason's i was wondering how many mpg i can expect and also how many horses and torque i should get from the ignition, and btw i was looking at the direct replacement to the stock distributor

thank you

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
You aren't going to get any noticable power from just putting in an ignition. They don't really increase hp all that much. Just provide you with better spark to burn more gas in the cylinder. I would say 5hp max and that is crank hp from putting an ignition on.

·
"factory freak"...
8,603 Posts
dont bother. i would say 5 hp would quite optimistic.
and if there is a gain in economy, it would be so small that break even on your investment would be years away...

·
just one of those days
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thanks guys thats what i needed to know, is there anything that i can do besides muffler, intake and tb spacer?

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
liffick said:
cool thanks guys thats what i needed to know, is there anything that i can do besides muffler, intake and tb spacer?
Tb spacer won't do anything.

E-fan, underdrive pullies, headers, larger y-pipe, cam, supercharger, nitrous, there are a ton of things you can do.

·
just one of those days
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rat said:
Tb spacer won't do anything.

E-fan, underdrive pullies, headers, larger y-pipe, cam, supercharger, nitrous, there are a ton of things you can do.
i was talking more along the lines of economy, but those are great ideas and i would love to do that but right now my main concern is getting it paid off in a year :D

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Headers doesn't get you better gas mileage. I have them and they didn't do shit for gas mileage. Everything I have added as decreased gas mileage not make it better. The more performance you have the less your gas mileage will be.

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
Dan Plante said:
Headers doesn't get you better gas mileage. I have them and they didn't do shit for gas mileage. Everything I have added as decreased gas mileage not make it better. The more performance you have the less your gas mileage will be.
My truck has been the exact oposite yours. Everything i have done has helped. So, in year 2050 i will have saved enough in gas money to recoup everything spend on parts.:haha:

Except headers, and y-pipe, i agree, those didn't do squat for fuel economy, didn't hurt or help.

·
"factory freak"...
8,603 Posts
liffick said:
i was talking more along the lines of economy, but those are great ideas and i would love to do that but right now my main concern is getting it paid off in a year :D
well, in that case, your money would be much better spent on paying the truck down, rather than on parts/ equipment for it, such as fancy intakes, TB spacers, and ign. boxes....

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
for ~$100 mod, if you were to average 1MPG increase and gas is $2.50 a gallon (assuming, moving from 20 to 21 MPG), it takes approximately 17,000 miles to get the money back. Those miles go down as gas prices go up.

I got 1MPG increase at least with an e-fan, which cost ~$100, and have driven more than twice that 17,000 :)

Very valid point though.

·
just one of those days
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool, thanks guys, the tb spacer and intake and exhaust where on the truck when i bought it :D so it saved me the trouble of buying them and installing them, although i have an awesome sound when hard on the throttle and on a side note i am very certian the truck has a 3000 RPM stall converter on it because when it downshifts it will wait till the engine revs and then the butt squats and i am gone.... sound like a new converter to you guys?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts