S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Primered Panther
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my 6A Amplifier on my truck will I need new spark plugs? Also, what coil part # will work on it? Thanx!!!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
MSD doesnt have a replacement coil for the 96+. I have heard of people using the blaster coils, but Im not sure. They are supposed to have something coming out shortly to replace the stocker.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
to answer your first question yes, u can still run stock plugs.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Stock plugs and wires are fine. You'll find that in and ohm test the factory wires outperform most of the aftermarket bigger mm wires. And as for a coil, according to MSD themselves, a blaster coil which needs to be spliced in actually puts out less voltage than the stock coil does. They said their HCV Blaster puts out slightly more voltage than the stock coil does and also needs to be spliced in, but didnt recommend it. They have no need at this point to make a direct replacement because of a number of things, one being our cols are pretty good allready and the fact the amount of vechicles using this style coil is limited.

·
The Primered Panther
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

I already replaced my wires with 8.8mm MSD and the plugs with AC Delco Rapid-fires so i hope this amp will help! Thanks again!:thumbup:

·
ZQ8 Sonoma Owner
91 Posts
97SS,

Its for sale, but your still pouring $ into it? :confused:

·
The Primered Panther
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's not a true SS, or I wouldn't have done all the body mods I'm doing and have done. And I have to spend what little money I have on something...might as well be my truck. I bought the wiring adapter PN# 8877 or something like that and was also wondering if it would work on the stock coil if I spliced the wires cause it's a hell of a lot easier to hook up with that harness in there.

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
i have a msd 6a box with a blaster ss coil, and i would recommend just using the stock coil. you won't get any better performance than the stock one will give you.

the adapter that you have makes it all just plug and play no wires to splice.

·
The Primered Panther
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where is the best spot to mount the box??? I was thinking about on the firewall but the only spot would be covering up the numbers and that bar code, whatever they're for. HELP!!!

·
The Primered Panther
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks...that helps, but i might have to make a bracket to mount it on or something

1 - 12 of 12 Posts