S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
the Zen of S10
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone that has one, tell me if installing an MSD ingnition creates engine noise or whine in a high powered stereo. Through experience, I'm aware that a weak alternator or an overtaxed electrical system causes whine but will something like an MSD ingnition upgrade cause it? thanks!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I dont have anything with mine. I dont have a huge system though. Im currently running the MSD 6A, with MAYBE a 400 watt system at best... The ignition itself definately puts out a whine, but I can only hear it inside the cab with the volume very low, or off.

·
the Zen of S10
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys,

I have a 97 S10 4.3 so I think I'll be okay with the whine.
Just gotta get the kit now,

actually, my wife just left the room.

how do you guys get away with all these upgrades without your spouses jumping all over your balls?:soap:

is there some technique I need to know about or perhaps some secret sect of the S10 upgrade cult I need to join?

More than any technical questions I may ask on this forum, my most important question is how do these upgrades fit in your wives say so?

thanks for any input
:eyes:

·
Registered
206 Posts
The noises induced by an MSD ignition are more like a crackle sound that isn't dependent on the engine RPM. If you don't route any of your audio power wires anywhere near the ignition you should be okay. I wouldn't waste the $25 on the MSD noise filter.

I never had a problem until I re-routed some wiring under the hood. I had to move everything clear of the ignition box to eliminate the noise.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have alot of noise with mine too. Connecting the MSD directly to the battery + terminal and the - to the engine block helps cut it down. I was thinking of getting the noise filter from MSD but I only hear the noise when the volume is really low.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
AS for the wife thing....it's called Money orders! I order all my parts using money orders so that she doesn't know what I do with my funny money.....Not that I'm trying to hide it from her, it just saves on the "Why do you need that" arguments.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my wife is just as addicted to racing as I am. So all I have to do is tel lher the pros and cons ans she is like, go for it.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts