S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SS Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys where did you mount your box at and how did you do it????
Thanks Eric

·
Registered
132 Posts
Many mount...

it on a homemade "L" shaped bracket shelf and attach the shelf to the firewall between the heater fan housing and inner finder .

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Rhino said:

Here's mine, now granted it's just the 6A.. but still.. you get the idea...
hey thats wierd. they moved the a/c compressor back over to the drivers side again. in my 86 it is the same place as yours but on the 91 it is on the pass side. wierd.

·
92 305 so-blaze-10 xtreme
424 Posts
ok, time to bring this thread back to life... we have cameras on our phones if not, digital cameras... show me some pics!

·
Sometimes I'm mean...alot
1,348 Posts
Unless your distributor needs an MSD 6 series box to run your ignition it is a waste of money. Multiple Spark Discharge at low rpms is un-noticable and does nothing to make these engines run better. The supposed easier starting anf better fuel economy is sooo small it funny. We already have the best high energy ignition systems from the factory.

But, if you like to impress others with stuff like this....

P.S. MSD stuff went from being Made in Mexico to Made in China now.

·
424 Posts
dude, it''s a 305 tpi.... a 1985 motor i've been running this thing for a few years now, just wanted to see what ppl did with mounting theirs

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
the one i put on my 94 i put it on my expansion tank. took a piece of flat aluminum and bolted it to the tank and than rivoted it to the plate.

i did notice a smmother idle and off idle accel but thats about it. i bought my kit off ebay for 50 bucks so why not use it. it came with harness, crane coil, and msd 6a box.

·
424 Posts
i bought mine forever ago(full price)... i have msd 6al, blaster 2 coil, and harness. i need to find a msd dizzy for computer controlled cars. the major thing i noticed about it was 3000+ rpms. i could run it and pull amazing times at the strip... then i could unplug it and it got slow all of a sudden... but that was on my built 4.3... i have a stock 305 now...

·
1,348 Posts
i bought mine forever ago(full price)... i have msd 6al, blaster 2 coil, and harness. i need to find a msd dizzy for computer controlled cars. the major thing i noticed about it was 3000+ rpms. i could run it and pull amazing times at the strip... then i could unplug it and it got slow all of a sudden... but that was on my built 4.3... i have a stock 305 now...
Amazing times huh?....all because you used a MSD 6AL:rolleyes:

Stop drinking the Kool-aid PLEASE!

I run one on my 10.70 second STREET Chevelle only because I use an MSD Distributor. It is smaller in size that the HEI I previously ran. It did'nt go faster because I changed to it....it went faster because I was able to adjust the advance curve and make it have better manners both on the street and the strip.

·
424 Posts
nah dude, the msd brought out the best in that motor... It wasn't that it caused the times, so to speak, it just made the truck pull ALOT harder afted 3k... That makes a big difference

·
1,348 Posts
nah dude, the msd brought out the best in that motor... It wasn't that it caused the times, so to speak, it just made the truck pull ALOT harder afted 3k... That makes a big difference
You don't understand...an MSD box only does it's "MULTIPLE SPARK" thing below 3K RPM after that it's the same as an HEI

Here's a good description...
On an normal (average) car, there's only one spark ignition. MSD takes that one step farther and lights off few sparks per burn stroke. So the theory is that it will give you cleaner and more powerful burn.

That is the theory. But in practice it has not really been proven that it makes a significant difference (in power and MPG). The reason is that once the spark is ignited all the gas around it is already exhausted and buring AWAY from the spark. So the second and subsequent spark really does not much.

Also modern cars run at peak efficiency (stoichiometry) of 14.7 fuel to air ratio. It is already drawing the most energy out of the fuel it can. The only way to really get it burn any better it to let in more air (leaner), but that would make the cylinders dangerously hot (meltdown). MSD does nothing here.

So in reality there only so much that can be done to burn the existing fuel more efficiently.
===
Most of the testimony are from non-scientific testing source (your brother and my cousins, etc.). The exceptions are the top drag racers where even 1 or 2 percent could mean the difference between winning and losing.

·
Tundra Redneck
197 Posts
You don't understand...an MSD box only does it's "MULTIPLE SPARK" thing below 3K RPM after that it's the same as an HEI

Here's a good description...
but also it fires a stronger single spark above 3K RPM too, but yet I have to agree with everyone else. It doesn't do much good on stock motors unless it specifically needs a stronger than stock ignition, at least in what i've seen. I had one on my carbd '85 2.8 didn't notice a difference and later it played hell with it because the GM harness they sell for it doesn't work for the vacuum advance distributors on my motor. had to jury rig it half with the gm harness and half with the mag pickup, which the wires started working loose since i only taped them together so i got bad backfires and stalls until i removed it. on my 1/2 ton with the chevy 350 carb setup i noticed it fired up a little easier but again not much performance beyond that. the stronger spark i suspect would work well in forced induction though, but i don't have any of my running cars turboed yet

·
Sold :'(
7,561 Posts
I have one on my '98 and my '02 just because I ran across them for dirt cheap. I don't believe I've experienced any noticeable power and/or MPG gains, but I certainly have not lost anything by having them. I have the box mounted with 3M Dual Lock to the small flat space on the side of the evaporator core housing.

·
WICKED 6 RACING
2,189 Posts
I don't have a 6AL anymore I went to a Mallory 7L CR ignition. Its mounted on the fire wall under the passenger side dash.

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
the only legitmate need for CD type ignition is for
engines that use high ammounts of compression, boost or nitrous,
or extremely high rpm.
for a moderate C.R., N/A 6 cylinder engine like the 4.3, you would have to
be revving above 6800-7000 rpm to justify a CD ign. system...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts