S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 2001 s10 ex cab 4.3 auto. i believe it is a cpi if im not mistaken. well i just bought the truck 2 weeks ago. i am getting 15 mpg (using the ol' filler up and divide method.) i should be getting near the 17 mpg gallon range shouldnt i? i just put some stp fuel treatment intoday, hopefully so it can clean my injectors and what not. what can i do to get more mpg, i have also just replaced the air filter, the truck has 48,500 miles on it. carfax report sais it was registered in pennsylvania, i was told that i mite need to get the air to fuel ratio reset or something, i dono. im kind of engine stupid but i am always willing to learn and would rather do something my self, rather than taking to a shop.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
its a SFI, CPi went out in 1995.did you change the fuel filter, and make sure you have the right air pressuer in your tires? as for changing the A?F ratio since its from PA, thats horseshit.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, im gonna chack my pressure tomorow and no i havnt changed the fuel filter yet, the filters mounted on the frame, correct?

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
yeah, the filter is frame mounted, i believe mine was just forward of the front leaf spring mount.

·
bitch
7,884 Posts
my 90 4x4 blazer gets between 20 and 24 average. and i need a tune up hella bad, my wires are arcing in certain spots, but no worries, i got 6 new delco plugs, 8mm wires and a napa gold series cap to go on, can i hear 27mpg?

·
Got Beer?
1,599 Posts
I have just about the same truck (see signiture) and I am getting about 15-16 mpg as well. My truck has about 25000 on it right now. I dont know what to say either...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Fuel filter, air filter, tranny fluid&filter, better gas.
I get better milage than that in a 5.7 vortech 99 yukon!!
Try keeping the rpm under 1,700 most of the time and under 2,000rpm all the time.
There are 2 mods that can help mpg alot
K&N cold air intake :twiggss: on APC
and a nice 2.25-2.5" dual exhaust.
PS: My 2.2 s10 got 30mpg after e-fan, K&N, and the biggest difference in hwy mpg was from --->>>tonneau cover<<<---.
BTw I have seen as much as a 9mpg difference between different grades/brands of gas. In my area shell premium has the best average. You might have a mobil in your area and on my last test(1 week ago) their premium beat shell by 1.75 mpg hwy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts