S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To mount the S10 4.3L radiator in the forward position I need to open the radiator support ~1" on the driver's side and ~1" on the top. What has been used to mount the radiator in this position? Pictures would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I am also using the Dodge Intrepid electric fan set and mounting suggestions for that would also be appreciated.

·
Been there Done it
11,183 Posts
On my LS swap with the truck accessory drive I found I could leave the bottom in the factory rubber mounts and just move the top in an inch or so. Just lay the support on a couple saw horses and using a cut off wheel and small grinder to clean up the edges and corners, you just cut and trial and error until it fits. It's a PITA to do and takes longer than you'd think. But if you're careful it'll look good when your done. I ran a file over all the edges when finished to remove any sharp places that would have me bleeding in the future.
To mount the fans the shroud has to be trimmed a little to fit perfectly flat all the way around. Like <1/4" on one side. I had to remove one of the 4 plastic mounting tabs because it lined up with the lower water outlet. Then just make some small metal tabs to screw into the support on the sides for the other 3. I would't recommend bolting it to the aluminum part of the rad.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see that one of the fan shroud supports does interfere with the radiator outlet on the passenger side. No issue with just 3 supports? Yes, I see that the shroud has to be trimmed slightly to set against the radiator fins. I'm setting this vehicle up for cruising and will have A/C. Do you have the A/C condenser and is it in the stock position? What did you do to secure the top of the radiator?

·
Been there Done it
11,183 Posts
My a/c condenser is in the stock position. For top supports I pulled the rubbers out of the upper shroud and made little band iron brackets to hold them down on the rad and screwed them to the top of the support with a sheet metal screw. Since the bottom is in the rubber mounts it can't move sideways so all the straps do is hold it down. Once filled it doesn't want to move upward anyway. I put an extra hole in for the nipple on the rubber piece to pull thru so they stay together while trial fitting. You could use weather strip adhesive to accomplish the same thing if the tits break off.
This is a pic from online. A number of places sell a set for like $20, but I'm sure you'd end up rebending them to fit properly to your rad and support. Anything universal fit just means it's kinda close to fitting.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After 40 years my cushions are pretty ugly so I'm ordering 4 new ones (same ones are used on both the 2.8L and 4.3L).I'll probably push the radiator to the forward position though. I'll probably have to do something a little different for the top mount though. Thanks for the assist. In situ pics would help too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts