S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
FI Enthusiest
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have pretty much ordered everything needed so here is my whole setup when complete:
engine: 05' 6.0l
Cam: TSP MS3 237/242 .603/.609" with 114lsa
Heads: Stock heads, Comp Precision Racing Double Springs
Intake: LS6
Headers: JTR conversion
Tranny: 4L80E
Stall Converter: 4000
Suspension: Custom 4 link

anything else? these are just all the parts (except the 4 link) that I have ordered, if you want to know anything else let me know. I havent decided on what exhaust yet because i havent decided if the motor will be streetable lol, so let me know your oppinions

·
ALMOST DONE
1,422 Posts
wiring harness from current performance and im not sure but maybe a diff. fuel pump

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
Cam: TSP MS3 237/242 .603/.609" with 114lsa (WAY WAY too big for stock heads)
Heads: Stock heads, Comp Precision Racing Double Springs(Comp #921s?)
Intake: LS6 (Look into the FAST LSX)
Headers: JTR conversion(havent seen them in person, hope they fit)
Tranny: 4L80E (its a Pig, does it even fit in the trans tunnel?)
Stall Converter: 4000 (holy crap too much)
Suspension: Custom 4 link (send it back now, get a set of slide-a-links or Caltracs)

·
FI Enthusiest
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SweetS10V8 said:
Cam: TSP MS3 237/242 .603/.609" with 114lsa (WAY WAY too big for stock heads)
Heads: Stock heads, Comp Precision Racing Double Springs(Comp #921s?)
Intake: LS6 (Look into the FAST LSX)
Headers: JTR conversion(havent seen them in person, hope they fit)
Tranny: 4L80E (its a Pig, does it even fit in the trans tunnel?)
Stall Converter: 4000 (holy crap too much)
Suspension: Custom 4 link (send it back now, get a set of slide-a-links or Caltracs)

as far as the cam, it was tested on stock head 98 z-28 with new springs and such at 10.50's N/A and was built for cam-only packages btw if you mean piston clearance, it fits, only barely, but it fits, LS6 was a freebie, if the JTR dont fit, my metal worker can make them fit, 4L80E will be completally edited and it is only about 1 inch wider than the other, 4000 wont be too much, why you say forget the 4-link? oh and the springs are 921 double springs rated to .660" of lift, as far as the diff. I already have a ford 9" with auburn pro 3.55 gears

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
It doesnt matter what that ran in someone elses car, its still WAY WAY too big. As far as P/V clearance, what does "barely fits" mean?

LS6 for free is cool and will work, but 20+hp short of the LSX, just for future reference.

4000 stall, is this a drag only truck?

4 link, tell me what you know about them...

·
FI Enthusiest
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SweetS10V8 said:
It doesnt matter what that ran in someone elses car, its still WAY WAY too big. As far as P/V clearance, what does "barely fits" mean?

LS6 for free is cool and will work, but 20+hp short of the LSX, just for future reference.

4000 stall, is this a drag only truck?

4 link, tell me what you know about them...
pretty much only a drag only truck, although i may still drive it to a cruise every once in a while, as far as the fast, i know what you mean, my dad has a fast 90/90 on his, why do you say that its still too big? and the 4 link is what i was referred to for suspension

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
I say that because this isnt a gen I sbc, it doesnt need the equivalent cam to make as much HP as older engines do, much like Gen IIIs dont use nearly as much timing as Gen I's.

Sure you could use it but it doesnt fit your combo right now. What are you using to program the computer with? Cams for the Gen III series are much smaller and still make huge power.

Seriously unless you really understand weight transfer and how instant centers affect how the truck will launch/react with slight adjustments of the 4 link, dont get one.

People pull 1.2-1.5s all the time with simple caltrac/ slide-a-links. Which is plenty fast. 4 links are for cars running low 9s or better where they have to use the literally 1000s of avaliables adjustments to dial in exactly what they need.

·
FI Enthusiest
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
well about the cam, you saying i dont need the hp? the 4-link, if you are worried about price wise for the kind of use for it(i see your point, because im sure i could get the other two much cheeper than a 4 link kit) but im not buying a 4 link kit, the guy who did the rear-end in my truck is a chasis builder, and probabley one of the best welders ive ever seen, he can actually put together my 4-link and have it installed in 3 days for $750, but ill look into the other two

EDIT: We are going to use LS1 Edit

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
Im saying too much cam sucks in a bad way.... More cam doesnt equal more HP, it doesnt work like that. Its all about combination and yours isnt going to work well together.

$750 your nuts, unless this is going to be a serious drag truck. Caltracs are $250 or so. Spend $250 on the caltracs then have money left over to buy a bigger cam later when you need it(after you get better heads).

What are your goals for this truck anyways?

·
FI Enthusiest
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info on the suspension parts, any places to suggest buying from? as far as goals, i was hoping for mid 13's when i started, but now im hoping mid 12's with traction with this setup, btw the compresion on the stock motor is 9.4:1, the torque is 360 and 4000 rpm, and the hp is 325 but i dont know the rpms

·
FI Enthusiest
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its all pretty much bolt ons, and cam only, so in reality no, it will have most of the bolt ons (over stock) that you can have

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
Yeah, so your cam is 10x too big now.... Ive been dynoing an LS1 for the past month with bolt ons, cams, and intakes and have seen first hand what works and what doesnt....

Rethink your cam and the 4 link is 1.waste of money. 2. Overkill. 3. Not many people understand them.

Goto this forum: http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/
Its not like here, mostly adults who actually have what they say they do, who dyno their stuff. Search the chevy section and do some research.

·
FI Enthusiest
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so basically your telling me that every person who ever ran a t-rex cam only (no head work besides valves) is a liar? every single person i saw with a t-rex only put down AMAZING numbers, and ran amazing at the track with similar bolt on's in a 5.7l ls1, and that cam is a 242/248 - .608/.612 - 110 lsa, so they are all lying, and cant really run that cam?

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
No, Im telling you this... That isnt you. "He is the current "camshaft only" ET record holder for LS1 vehicles in the country. " So theres more to it than what they are telling you.

Do you honestly think you can just throw a cam in and go 10s? I mean he did it why cant you, right???(or is he a lair)? Especially since yours has more ci. So do your Large x Huge cam and have fun with your crappie bottom end.

Makes me wonder why I spend time trying to help the helpless... Your set on getting it, might as well pick up that 4 link for $750 too for your stock 6.0L with a mega cam. "itll sound awesome, and this other guy runs 10s with it"

·
i dont have feelings
519 Posts
hes right, that cam is too big! stock heads stop flowing at approx 0.550" lift

wait a minute... will stock heads even handle over 0.600" lift? im going to look into that, i think i have a set at the shop.... ill get back to ya on this.

last thing i have to say is you have two different cam specs in the thread. ill go by the last one you mentioned... hey sweet, how do you think the stock pcm (tuned or not) will run with 110 LSA?

·
Registered
145 Posts
WOOO HOOOO my cam is 620 lift!! I'll get in the 9's then!!!!! WAIT their right :( Bigger cam does NOT mean more HP unless you have the stuff to go with it an NO im not talking about bolt on stuff.

·
Registered
860 Posts
but i thought bigger was always better?

·
gtfo now
1,610 Posts
camaro1986z28 said:
but i thought bigger was always better?
They say that about dicks, but try zipping your fly with a ten-footer.

Seriously, tho, why do people come on here and post their shit then expect everyone to tell them it's a good idea? I've never built an engine in my life, but I feel like I know more than some of these new guys that get on here. Why? Cause I actually listen to the people who know what they're doing...

Anyways, referring back to the four-link, aren't there a few vehicles running 9s or even lower on caltracs/slide-a-links? Thought I saw that mentioned a couple times when four-links were brought up...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts