S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 8" JL subs in ported boxes behind my seats in a standard cab, and they sound great... but does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it so it sounds louder with the windows up. When I roll down the windows it gets alot louder, and I understand that there is not much air in a standard cab, but is there a way to fix this, would a sealed box help? What has everyone else done to fix this? Or do I just have to ride with my windows down all the time? Thanks,

DogP

·
Registered
287 Posts
my two tens in my standard cab 'Noma do the same thing. Actually, so the two 12s in my friend's 2000 highrider, but to a lesser degree. My theory is that there isn't enough air in the cab for the notes to develop, so it's louder when there's more air. I think it's kinda the same phenomenon as turning a box around in a trunk so the subs fire at the back of the car. Either that, or the pressure of being in the small cab keep the subs from moving as much, but I don't think that's the case.

Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe I can help. I have worked as an installer for about 4 years. Always use a sealed box. You also need to use polyfill in your box. the sealed box allows your subs to perform at their maximum potential in small spaces. You may also try using a crossover if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Actually, ported boxes are much more efficient than sealed boxes. That's why all the SPL competitors use them. And my boxes in my truck, as well as Ryan's highrider are sealed as well. So does my brother's single 15" (sealed) in his x-cab Sonoma. So does his friend's single 12" in an x-cab s-10. Also sealed. Oh yeah, all of them are crossed over and still have the same problem. It's just a fact of life, I guess.

Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay, I don't know if this will help, but I have a 10" Pioneer in a small .65 cubic inch sealed enclosure and it pumps, it is rated for 700 watts and I am only feeding 100 into it.. I find I can get quite a bit of thump from it.
On my first competition without much prep and with all speakers going, I hit a 123.5 SPL rating. I found that to be quite nice considering some kid in a tempo with two Alpine 12' only hit 130!

I must admit, my truck is very well sound deadened and with the doors shut, you can't hear much from the outside, but I am sure if it was stock, it would be loud.. but loudness is all a matter of interpretation anyway!!

Cheers, Bzz

·
Registered
15 Posts
True, some speakers, especially Kenwoods hit great in a ported box. The JL's, as any GOOD installer will tell you, hit better in sealed boxes I run my three 15 Lanzars in a sealed box it shows a 30 db gain over the ported box. The difference is in the way the speakers are made, magnet weight, ohm load, throw length, and voice coil. To make a long story short, buy some Lanzars to get more sound with the windows up.

·
Ranger Member
41 Posts
Jeffyboy said:
My theory is that there isn't enough air in the cab for the notes to develop, so it's louder when there's more air. I think it's kinda the same phenomenon as turning a box around in a trunk so the subs fire at the back of the car. Either that, or the pressure of being in the small cab keep the subs from moving as much, but I don't think that's the case.

Jeff
I think your on the right track with your thinking Jeff. Rolling the windows down does two things. First,it changes the resonent frequency inside the cab. This can make the subs sound louder to your ears, but doesn`t always increase your SPL. Second, rolling the windows down also creates a larger space for the sound wave to develop(much like turning the box in a car),thus making it sound louder. Sound waves are extremly long,for example,a 60 htz wave takes 18ft to fully develop,thats why turning a box around in a car usually creates more sound pressure.

·
Moving Violationz NE Member
354 Posts
99supercab!!! Your are correct you get a cookie for the day.

:D :D

·
Sheet Metal Master
159 Posts
I have three 12's in my Xtended cab and it still does the same thing. There's physically no way around it. There's less air to move so you can't get the same amount of SPL or even DBL out of it. I put 1500 watts to mine and it's still the same way. To get really deep bass though, open you windows just half way. Also, do your subs fire into your seats, or against the back wall of the cab? If you face them towards the back wall, a solid surface,you should gain a few decibals out of it. Try it and let me know, because I only know this about an Xtended cab.:evilg:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts