S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have a '93 2.8L 5 speed stock s-10 right now. This summer i am planning on beefing it up. My problem is would you replace the engine with a v6 supercharged or a v8?! As far as the v8 goes, i was thinking about a corvette LT1...THINKING is the key word :evilg: as far as horsepower and economy which would be my best bet? also which would be the most expensive after all is said and done? oh and one last question, i know that my tranny has to go, is it possible to put the ZF 6 corvette tran that comes with the LT1 in my truck, even if it is a 6 spd?? Any help on these subjects would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

i always liked the v8 :scary: :bowdown:

·
STRONG LIKE BULL
170 Posts
hey hows it going

i dont think u can go wrong with a v8 and the lt1 is proubly your best bet at trying to balance cost, power and fuel economy

and for your question about the 6 speed, anything is possible. i have heard of a 6 speed in s10 befor but i dont remeber if they had to moded

get the JTR book, its got everything in it
very helpful in a pinch

·
Yeah, still on the bottle
201 Posts
LT1 swap will run ya from 5,500 to 10,000 for project. Depending on the engine and other stuff you want to do it yourself. LT1 with thats in good condition are starting to become hard to find. Since they are over 5 yrs old. With a 6-speed you can do, its easier if you have your truck already in manual, then you can just adapt everything over. If you planning on going to a 6 speed manual you better have a few bucks more for that. But honestly, why would you want a 6 speed tranny? You want to top out at 200mph or something? It's more money than an automatic actually. Also planning on upgrading the braking system too, got to have the stop power if ya doing this swap. Another thing that will need to be done is a custom cross member for the tranny if you planning on going with a 4L60E and result must lengthen the driveshaft. When ya do go with the LT1 make sure it has the orginal computer with it. Best way for all of this, is pick up a book on the swaps, their somewhat in basic terms, a little time, and money you can get it done. :cool:

·
Registered
433 Posts
monkeyboy! ... i knew there were more primates out there! anyhow, if you go with a LT-1, you had better expect $3000+ easy. as you grow closer to that number and realize that the finished product is still a far distance away, think to yourself... "why did I start this?" When you start a project like that, go serious with it! Not just a 'ooo i can finish it over summer, no problem' type of idea either. The V6 swap wont be as much, and it's likely you will be able to use more of the parts you already have. standard tranny's are a trick to install properly with the V-8, but can be done! i'm not sure where the shifter sits for the 6 speed, but you will want to measure to be sure the shifter isnt between/ or centered between the seats which cause problems.

JTR valueable letters
chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys, i think i just might have to pick up the JTR book and see what it has to say. If i was just looking for a strong, reliable v-8 engine, one that would give me the power i want (= or > 300hp with mods of course:scary: ) that would get more than 10 miles per gallon, and would be cost effective and not a headache to undertake....any suggestions, man that seems picky doesn't it! :rolleyes:
anyway like i said i just want reliable power that later on i could play with, like added custom cam, supercharger, etc. if need be, but would not bankrupt me.
thanks again everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts