S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1992 chevy S-10 4.3 5spd.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1992 s10 4.3 5spd. It has an elderbrock intake already on it. But no TBI. Can I use an TBI off a 1994 gmc sierra 350. On my 4.3. and also what is the cheapest. Way to get more power out of my 4.3

·
Registered
1992 chevy S-10 4.3 5spd.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just got a 1992 s10 4.3 5spd. It has an elderbrock intake already on it. But no TBI. Can I use an TBI off a 1994 gmc sierra 350. On my 4.3. and also what is the cheapest. Way to get more power out of my 4.3
Anyone have any ideas or helpful advice toward getting more power from my 4.3

·
Registered
192 Posts
You're not gong to get a ton of power but there are a few things that apply to all engines:
1) make airflow into the engine easier (CAI, remove restrictions, etc.)
2) make airflow out of the engine easier (headers, good flowing cat)
3) tunes sometimes help, depending on who's doing it.

Yes, the throttle body from a 350 should be fine, I think they are the same size.

Most of the "More power, Scotty!" folks here have done V8 engine swaps.
So.....add two cylinders is one upgrade that should work.

·
Been there Done it
9,520 Posts
Which will cause it to run rich in open loop, but should be corrected for in closed loop by the ECM. If it has working O2 sensors.
One of the easiest swaps possible on a S10 is to replace the 4.3 TBI with a 5.7 TBI engine.

Reactions: ala_frosty

·
Registered
192 Posts
The TBI 4.3L to TBI 5.7L has to be super easy, same sensors, wiring, everything.
I used to cuss the swirl ramp TBI heads as compared to vortecs, but everything else the same, there's not enough difference between them to matter in a daily driver. The vortecs do respond quite a bit better to bigger cams and a little cleanup work.
There's an intake available that'll let you use Vortec heads with TBI. Don't even try the redrill, ports don't line up very well at all.

·
Registered
556 Posts
X2 for V8 swap. by the time you try spending $1500 on things to make the little v6 go faster, you'll only gain maybe 20 horsepower. and that is a maybe. You can surf ebay, and craigslist, and find most of the parts needed for the swap, and you can be into a V8 swap for cheap. i have done it, i know how cheap it can be done, but I'm very knowledgeable on the subject, so that helps a lot

·
Registered
862 Posts
X3 Pick up a 350 TBI out of a full size truck. There are guys putting LS's in those every day, so the old TBIs go for a song and you'll get wiring, accessories and the computer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts