S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: 2.2L What do ya think i could beat in a race?

jakec2789 said:
my 2.2 is modded mildly... and i have kept up if not beaten every ricer in town. the only things i have lost to are sti's and a turboed civic. believe it or not they are quick if you know how to drive them right.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :haha:

·
ol' bodybuilder
647 Posts

superunknownmoto said:
I don't think the other people realized they were racing.

There is no possible way on Earth a stock 2.2 beat a supercharged Civic. Just no way at all. Beating an F-250 is possible if the Ford was towing a boat or a tractor. The auto Eclipse boast may be possible, maybe....but the other guy, c'mon, dude, put down the crack pipe.
Yea - I think that just happened to me.

I was at a light and I took off rather aggressively. The Jeep Liberty that was next to me seemed to be staying with me - I could see him out of the corner of my eye.

So - at the next stoplight, I figured I'd go all out. It was located in a 55 MPH zone where the prior light was in a 45 zone.

I could see him off the corner of my truck and once we hit 55 I started to gain ground. You need to know the area where I was. It was right before a relatively steep hill and EVERYONE gets up to 70 MPH at the bottom (which is about 1/4 mile past the stop light) in order to get over it at any speed. I was probably doing 70-75 at the bottom (speedo is WAY OFF since just changing from 4.10 to 3.73s) I had to shift down to 4th (on the hill) but he didn't catch up to me any.

About 2 miles later he passed me and I was doing about 65 MPH.:evilg: :dunno:

·
PAGING DR. ******!
7,371 Posts

I beat a tow truck once.

·
Registered
847 Posts

I have a 94, with a 2.2l 5sp i have a e/fan, pace setter manifold, royal purple oil,and a intake filter.
I smoked my buddys 86 z28 camero with 305 crossfire inj, flowmasters,M.S.D, by second gear he was gone.
a crx with a fartcan and intake, couldnt toutch me.
and a ford ranger stock 4.0l, very close but i won.

my other buddy has a 2001 s10 4.3 with flowmasters intake and chip but a A.T tranns and long bed and he wants to race!! i think im going to lose.
ill try

·
Registered
2,541 Posts

I hope all of you "racers" are taking it to the track and not the streets

·
Registered
2,561 Posts

1994sdime said:
I have a 94, with a 2.2l 5sp i have a e/fan, pace setter manifold, royal purple oil,and a intake filter.
I smoked my buddys 86 z28 camero with 305 crossfire inj, flowmasters,M.S.D, by second gear he was gone.
umm no. not possible in a real race. Are you sure they knew you were racing? Were they being towed?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

1994sdime said:

my other buddy has a 2001 s10 4.3 with flowmasters intake and chip but a A.T tranns and long bed and he wants to race!! i think im going to lose.
ill try

:rotf: Nope :rotf:

·
s10 addict
513 Posts

1994sdime said:

ill try

despite what others say....ill agree its possible, my '94 runs awesome, mid 16's in the 1/4m and i dont really have anything done to it....im alittle shady bout the camaro but fock it,.....ive raced and beaten every other year 2.2 that ive come across ive beaten 4.3s too..i can stay with my cousins 3.9 dakota(it scoots), i dont know what the diff. is but the '94 mid '95s run alot better than the newer 2.2s..

·
Broke Missionary
201 Posts

maybe a rabbit, turtle??

not a cheetah(it would beat you)

·
Big Engine, Little Truck
639 Posts

An 86 Camaro with the 305 was rated at about 145 HP I believe. Maybe 185, but I think lower. They were complete smog-motors and dogs. Mustang GT's and LX's used to eat them for lunch. That car is now 20 years old, so it is probably beat to shit, like every other 20 year-old Camaro. I actually believe that it is possible for a good running 2.2 to run with that. I don't know about smoking it, though. I am highly dubious of anyone claiming that their mostly stock 2.2 is running 16's though. I would need to see timeslips. A video would be better.

·
Registered
847 Posts

for real i did beat a 86 z28 camero with a 305 crossfire, M.S.D and flowmasters. he was bragging how his camero would beat my s10 any day. i didnt think so. he said he knew of a road that we could race on. "well ok what did i have to lose".
11miles later we arived, so we lined up he said he will honk the horn once than well go......GO!! he pulled a way for about 10 ft than i hit second and pulled away, all the way to 5th he was behide me pretty far. we did this twice same thing and he didnt give some crappy excuse gust nice race!!!

ill try to post pics but someone stole my camera at school.

·
LOL NEON
1,456 Posts

tell him to replace his clutch because theres no way a camaro will lose to a 2.2 unless something is majorly wrong. All the power of that v8 was not making it to the wheels.

I hope everyone realizes that these are OHV engines. DOHC has our engines any day. VTEC does too. We have 100 hp to the wheels in something that weighs close to 2 tons (extended cab) Civics are much lighter and put down more horsepower to the wheels. This means yes our trucks should accelerate quicker with larger torque but would lose to the higher horsepower engine / lighter vehicle. Its simple physics people. half the claims on here are bullshit. The only reason i beat that eclipse is its a 4 speed geared for much higher speed. I realized this when i raced him so when we decided the roll speed i picked it so i would take off when i was in the start of my power curve, where he was imbetween gears. This allowed me to have a slight advantage.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

1994sdime said:
for real i did beat a 86 z28 camero with a 305 crossfire, M.S.D and flowmasters. he was bragging how his camero would beat my s10 any day. i didnt think so. he said he knew of a road that we could race on. "well ok what did i have to lose".
11miles later we arived, so we lined up he said he will honk the horn once than well go......GO!! he pulled a way for about 10 ft than i hit second and pulled away, all the way to 5th he was behide me pretty far. we did this twice same thing and he didnt give some crappy excuse gust nice race!!!

ill try to post pics but someone stole my camera at school.
and i'll believe the Maro story Long before I believe the 4.0 ranger story..:haha: That ranger would flat stomp you, without trying, without going WOT, without even realizing that you two were racing. Sorry...thats reality.

one of my very good friends has an 03 s-10 2.2 5spd, with e-fan, 4.10s, UD pullys, intake, magnaflow cat back, high flow cat, Al's header, and Bigger TB. A stock 4.0 ranger will rape him balls deep :haha: a stock Si will be even worse. Ive driven the truck many times...Its ok, and pretty quick...compared too other 2.2s...but its still dogshit slow...heres the best way to describe it, did you see that episode of ''Pinks'' where the Civic raced the T/A and asked for 20 lengths? Id give my friend 20 length head start in the 1/4 and still beat him :rotf:

·
DRAG IT BITCHES!
108 Posts

superunknownmoto said:
An 86 Camaro with the 305 was rated at about 145 HP I believe. Maybe 185, but I think lower. They were complete smog-motors and dogs. Mustang GT's and LX's used to eat them for lunch. That car is now 20 years old, so it is probably beat to shit, like every other 20 year-old Camaro. I actually believe that it is possible for a good running 2.2 to run with that. I don't know about smoking it, though. I am highly dubious of anyone claiming that their mostly stock 2.2 is running 16's though. I would need to see timeslips. A video would be better.
I dont care how worn it is it will still have more torque. an s-10 wont win...

·
DRAG IT BITCHES!
108 Posts

1fast4by said:
heres the best way to describe it, did you see that episode of ''Pinks'' where the Civic raced the T/A and asked for 20 lengths? Id give my friend 20 length head start in the 1/4 and still beat him :rotf:
oh damn dud that was such a funny episode!!!! he said "he was trying to get respect for imports" well guess what fat **** it wont happen asking for 20 lengths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

·
Big Engine, Little Truck
639 Posts

Here are some performance stats I foud for older Camaros.
1985 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z28 305 AOD n/a [email protected] [email protected] 6.8 [email protected] MT 10/84
1985 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z28 305 AOD 3.42 [email protected] [email protected] 7.0 [email protected] C&D 10/84
1985 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z28 305 AOD 3.27 [email protected] [email protected] 6.9 [email protected] MT 10/84
1985 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z28 4bbl L69 305 5 spd 3.73 [email protected] [email protected] 7.5 [email protected] C&D 10/84
1985 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z28 4bbl L69 305 5 spd 3.73 [email protected] [email protected] 6.8 [email protected] mph MT 7/85
1985 Ford Mustang GT 302 5 spd 2.73 [email protected] [email protected] 7.1 [email protected] MT 10/84
1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 305 AOD 3.27 [email protected] [email protected] 7.7 [email protected] MT 10/84
1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 4bbl L69 305 5 spd 3.73 [email protected] [email protected] 7.6 [email protected] C&D 4/85
1986 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 305 AOD 3.27 [email protected] [email protected] 8.2 [email protected] Hot Rod 8/86

As you can see, the fastest one of those pigs ran was a 15.30. And these are Z28's and TA's, not standard model F-Bodies. And that was with a test driver, not Joe "I have a really bitchin' V-8 Camaro" Shmoe. Not very fast for a V-8 car. Figure it is now 20 years old. 100 and whatever thousand miles on it, beat to hell, easy to imagine it now running in the 17's or even 18's. Very possible for a good running 2.2 to run with. Not to "smoke" but possible to run with. Regardless, 2.2 are slow as hell and I'll bet 90% of these so-called kill stories are BS.

·
3SM
45 Posts

LOW-LIFE said:
im just gonna go ahead and do it for everyone else and... call bullsh1t on that one.:haha:

Nope, the civic just spun it's tires throught the first two gears. He was not a good driver and the F250 it was an automatic, mines 5 speed

·
Not low, not going to be
346 Posts

982.2sten said:
Nope, the civic just spun it's tires throught the first two gears. He was not a good driver and the F250 it was an automatic, mines 5 speed
Ok, so the F250 was towing the Civic because its owner was too retarded to drive? I'd almost believe it then.

And about the Camaro "kill," cross-fire injection never came from the factory in a Camaro. There is no reason to ever swap one in, since TPI engines (and most carb engines for that matter) are much more plentiful and make much more power. I'd bet it was actually a V6 and the driver was BSing you.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts