S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
PPG sprayin' member
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused on wheather to buy some of speed pro's moly top ring piston rings or just cast, I know moly is bor ductile and won't shatter or crack but is it really worth the extra $$$?

·
Registered
484 Posts
downtoearth said:
I'm confused on wheather to buy some of speed pro's moly top ring piston rings or just cast, I know moly is bor ductile and won't shatter or crack but is it really worth the extra $$$?
The moly faced rings are just usually the top ring itself and it is coated to help it break in fast and conform to the cylinder wall finish quicker than a cast ring would do. It doesn't have much if anything to do with the strength of the ring itself as they are all made from the same material - it just allows it to seat in the first 30 seconds or so after start-up verses maybe a few hundred miles...

·
Registered
484 Posts
downtoearth said:
Oh ok, then I wont spend the extra cash on them, thanks!

If the difference isn't that great they are probably well worth it. The biggest factor in getting the best results out of using them is that they require the cylinder bores to be honed with fairly fine honing stones so it doesn't rip the snot out them - but the quick break-in is worth the money in my opinion anyway...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts