S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 sonoma with a 2.2 and a 5 speed. i run 17.6 in the quarter mile. my question is if i install a borla turbo muffler, jet stage 2 chip, a different thermostat, and some kind of intake (volant or k and n generation 2), could it be possible for me to break into the mid 16's. i dont want to switch motors, and i dont want to over mod a 2.2 i just need something decently fast. also what is the difference between the volant (estimated 8 hp increase), and the k and n Generation 2 (estimated 16 hp increase). are they that different or is k and n b.s.ing

·
Registered
893 Posts
the volant is similar in construction. Both are made of a plastic, but the K&N FIPK comes with a metal piece that is supposed to reduce the amount of hotter air pulled in from near the engine. Kinda like a cold air/ram air setup, just not sealed very well. The hardest part of the K&N install is putting the Seal on this meatl piece mentioned above. The volant doesnt use a K&N filter, but i guess you couls always throw one on. They are also routed differently. The volant, if you have a/c, bolts to it and crosses in front of the compressor, while the K&N fits between a pipe coming off the compressor, the hood, and the brake fluid resevoir. I found the volant to be much louder than the K&N and last i checked they jacked the price up on it. When i first bought it when i first got my truck, it was 180, now its like 300 i think. Not the right price im sure but you get the idea.

·
Registered
214 Posts
K&N doesn't claim 16 horses on their 2.2 kit. If you go to their website you can see that they claim roughly 5 horses on average throughout the powerband. The dyno sheet I saw at SEMA showed 4.8 peak horsepower gain, and about 4.5 on average. Structurally the Volant and K&N kits are the same, except that K&N has a heat shield. Volant makes decent systems, but I don't like them as a company, so I can't advocate their product. I recommend the K&N to my customers, and it's what I'm getting for my truck.

-Chris

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
go to truckperformance.com they have the volant for 220 and k and n for 230. the jet chip is also alot cheaper there. and at this website they claim a 16 hp increase on the k and n. has anyone done a before and after on these items, if so how much did it knock off your et?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so no one has done a before and after on an intake, exhaust, and a chip

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Well, lets see, Volant...used....90...
MAI...Custom made 60 + filter + Valve breather
K&N $320 ordered....

I can't tell a difference between the three.....get either or, whatever you can afford it doesn't matter, there will only be a slight gain anyways....

Chip will probably be your biggest HP maker

I LOST down low power with my full exhaust, but since I do mainly highway driving, I feel it was a decent trade off since I get more power higher up...

Throttle body spacer, have yet to install this but I feel it will make the engine noisier and not give me a damn bit of more HP feeling

Electric fan- didn't notice a damn difference

Pullies- probably going to be like the E-fan

THATS why I'm going to go into the motor more, screw these +1 HP mods, I'm going to go for 10 and 20 and bigger mods at a time, I've got most of the basics now

Caleb

·
Registered
43 Posts
performance

i feel you ive put on a cat and intake and all they did was made my truck louder and the cops notice me more. the only real way to get hp is to go into the block. im currently looking for a cam and rocker arms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts