S-10 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I hate my truck.
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a 95 s10 5 speed. When I bought it, it had a real sticky clutch from siting for 4 years. Well it was then fine after driving a little bit but would still let out the occasional grind/moan (not gears grinding) when I would let out the clutch. After doing research I found that its most likely the release bearing. Well now It hasn't been doing this to often going into gear. But yesterday after noon I went to leave school and it is now letting out this awful moan under acceleration with the clutch fully out. Would this still be the release bearing or what's goin on? Its definitely like a clutch metal on metal grind not the gears meshing/grinding. Oh also I found a kit that includes the disc, pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing (I thought those two bearings were the same?). But it says this application does not require a slave cly? I could have sworn that s10's have a slave cly. Does that parts list sound right as it seems like a killer price ($104). Any information or thoughts would be great.

·
I hate my truck.
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come one some buddy has to have some sore of Idea? Also in neutral if I rev the motor you can hear like a tumbling as well as a vibrating that sounds like the heat shields loose but it isn't. I need to fix this asap but don't want to go at the clutch if that may not be what is goin on here.

·
IT IS SUCH CHOICE
236 Posts
do you hear it in the engine bay? casue i have the same kinda thing but its comming from the engine bay. i was told that it just needs a tune up

·
I hate my truck.
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It deff has nothing to do with a tune up. Theres no way plugs, air filter and things of that nature are going to cure a loud metallic grinding noise. Its coming from where the tranny hump meets the fire wall for the most part.

·
has no indigoblue2kdime.
904 Posts
isnt this just how s10 trannys sound ?
both the 2.2 s10s ive had have made a similar sound to what you're describing...

·
Registered
67 Posts
monkeymouse said:
Come one some buddy has to have some sore of Idea? Also in neutral if I rev the motor you can hear like a tumbling as well as a vibrating that sounds like the heat shields loose but it isn't. I need to fix this asap but don't want to go at the clutch if that may not be what is goin on here.
The clutch release bearing [ throwout bearing] needs replacement. The tranny will need to come out. Replace the pilot bearing, pressure plate, clutch disc. check the clutch releae lever for wear.

That's the name of that tune !

·
I hate my truck.
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Figured it was the throwout bearing, just wanted reasurance befor I drop $200 or so and rebuild the clutch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Figured it was the throwout bearing, just wanted reasurance befor I drop $200 or so and rebuild the clutch.
Did this work? I have something similar, I get a nasty noise when I accelerate after shifting gears unless I accelerate really slowly, and it gets worse in higher gears.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Did this work? I have something similar, I get a nasty noise when I accelerate after shifting gears unless I accelerate really slowly, and it gets worse in higher gears.
Mine was more like yours. It ended up being the pilot bearing in the crankshaft was so worn that it destroyed the front main bearing on the tranny. I replaced the tranny, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch, pressure plate, and slave cyl.

When i pressed on the clutch the humming noise would go away but when i released the clutch it would make a click and start humming.

Just hope its not he front main bearing on the trans. I pulled the trans and changed everything else, then decided to pull the front main bearing cover on the trans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine was more like yours. It ended up being the pilot bearing in the crankshaft was so worn that it destroyed the front main bearing on the tranny. I replaced the tranny, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch, pressure plate, and slave cyl.

When i pressed on the clutch the humming noise would go away but when i released the clutch it would make a click and start humming.

Just hope its not he front main bearing on the trans. I pulled the trans and changed everything else, then decided to pull the front main bearing cover on the trans.
Yikes.. Sounds expensive :( .. I'm not too handy when it comes to do-it-yourself repairs.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Yikes.. Sounds expensive :( .. I'm not too handy when it comes to do-it-yourself repairs.
Actually it wasnt all that bad. i spent around 800 after it was all said and done. which is a lot better than 2500 is what i was quoted by a shop. Dont let it intimidate you. If you have a good set of tools and a couple days you can do it and save yourself a lot of money. Where are you located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually it wasnt all that bad. i spent around 800 after it was all said and done. which is a lot better than 2500 is what i was quoted by a shop. Dont let it intimidate you. If you have a good set of tools and a couple days you can do it and save yourself a lot of money. Where are you located?
I'm in Austin, Texas .. I do have a grease monkey neighbor with a nice set of tools. Maybe I'll hit him up :)

·
I call her: NIGHTMARE
2,124 Posts
check your trans mount while your down there. Had a buddy with a 2.2 have some issues with his pilot bearing and throwout bearing, and the transmount was a factor....and the hole ripped through his crossmember.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
check your trans mount while your down there. Had a buddy with a 2.2 have some issues with his pilot bearing and throwout bearing, and the transmount was a factor....and the hole ripped through his crossmember.
good point. I have also heard of the bolt that bolts the tranny to the crossmember falling off. so the transmission would jump off the mount if you hit a bump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts