S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have a friend with an S-10 Extreem that he bought recently, and its generated a problem of vibrating at speed. After some looking under the truck we decided the reason was that his rear axle wasn't mounted right, and so under acceleration, the whole axle turns downward, screwing up the driveshaft alignment. Over time this seems to have damaged the whole driveshaft.

As far as we know it hasn't been lowered, but it does look like there is a part missing that would connect the axle to the frame on the passengers side. could this be the problem or is it something else altogether

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
the part missing is the hopp shock, that wouldnt cause the problem because most s10's do even have that option on them.

how is the axle mounted? you say its wrong? how? also oould be as simple as a bad u joint, or out of balance tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I said wrong, I was refering to the missing part. But it sounds like its not necessarily "missing".

My buddy said the U-Joints looked fine (I'll have him double check).

So what keeps the whole rearend from turning when the truck accelerates? is it only the two bolts that mount it to the leaf springs? or did I miss something.

There are things that make it look like the rearend rotates (or has gotten rotated) down. Things like the center rubber mouting assembly for the driveshaft being pull away from the frame and seals leaking on both ends.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
is there any way you could take a pic? sounds like something is broken or a bad seal on the rear end. if there is fluid leaking out of the pumpkin, then the rear end could of been broken, then it leaked the oil out and ran dry, now the pinion bearing and or gears are worn out. :/

·
YAY for Primer!
223 Posts
Are you saying the axel is twisting up and down When he accelerates or puts in in reverse. On my friends 98 full size the whole axel would rotate when you accelerate, And would rotate the other way when he put it in reverse. If thats the case with your friends. Try tightening the u bolts that go over the axel to the leaf spring. If those bolts arent tight the rear will pivot.

·
Squid Life
1,771 Posts
The axle is going to rotate some under acceleration...it's normal. It should rotate up going forward and down in reverse. The cheapestway to limit the rotation is by installing traction bars. When you accelerate the torque generated bends the leaf springs up until the force appplied to the leafs is equal to the force neccessary to push the truck forward.

·
Registered
610 Posts
be sure to check that the sway bar int he rear is mounted, i was working on my buddies 01 ZQ8 and after he got his truck back from the dealer that worked on it the first time, they forgot to reconnect the sway bar and it was rubbing the shock and totallt messing stuff up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts