S-10 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Quick update on the truck. Parts are starting to come in and things are being assembled. Hopefully next week the motor and transmission will be in the truck.

New power steering box installed.
Tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tire Automotive exterior

Motor and transmission mated.
Self-propelled artillery Tank Combat vehicle Motor vehicle Engineering

·
Boozebag
9,954 Posts
This really isn't a street ride...
It's a show truck
Beautiful!

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you for the kind words Max. It is my intent to drive the thing a couple times a week. After all the time and money I would hate to not drive the thing.

I just got the parts for a 72 Chevelle cowl induction hood flap. I am going to wire it to open when truck is running and close if wipers are on. Might put it on an RPM switch to mimic the way the vacuum actuator would work to only have it open over a certain RPM. That way it would open and close as the engine revs. I like the old school nature of this but will help with air intake.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Fantastic

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Slow going but tubs will be done likely next week. Also get a little look at how the rears look with bed sitting.

Custom gas tank has been designed and order. Will end up with about 21 gallons.

Front wheels ordered as well.

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Nothing to report here as waiting on a couple of things but did get a couple of pictures today that shows off the rear a little. Can also see the gas filler being shaved. We are relocating that to bed to help with my largish custom tank that is incoming.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I suppose if I was going over the wrong thing it could be a problem. Although ladder bars are super low too. I will need to be mindful of where I take it for sure.

I am using the SW Race car back half kit with all the components sourced by them.

·
time to get cereal
5,615 Posts
I ran that way for years when I had 4" blocks.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The concern is if the tire goes flat or blows out the shock will hit the ground before the wheel. The wheel, even though it's not the tire, will rotate and allow the truck to roll/slide without digging in like the shock will.

·
time to get cereal
5,615 Posts
Do quality tires blowout? I've always checked my pressures every month or so, I've had slow leaks but never a flat and never had to use a spare or get stuck because of a tire problem ever. My trucks don't even have spares.

Well aware of the issue and I know some states won't pass you on a safety inspection, not Missouri though.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Do quality tires blowout? I've always checked my pressures every month or so, I've had slow leaks but never a flat and never had to use a spare or get stuck because of a tire problem ever. My trucks don't even have spares.

Well aware of the issue and I know some states won't pass you on a safety inspection, not Missouri though.
I just had a blowout on my 3/4 ton while towing earlier this year. Picked up a nail and it lost enough pressure to blowout the side wall in between gas stops. I check things over religiously when I'm hauling and would have caught the low pressure if it had occurred before the last stop. It was a Cooper Discoverer rated for the towing I was doing.

Doesn't happen often, but can happen. Plus any low pressure situation could cause issues not just a blowout.

Now given this truck is more of a drag setup it can be assumed the risk could be even lower, but on the street there's more involved.

I also don't want anyone to take what I'm saying as judgement. We all take risk in modifying our vehicles, but it's better to understand what risks are taken.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,312 Posts
Would it even pass tech inspection at the track?

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
It is hard to tell from the angle of the picture but the bottom of the shock is a bit higher than the ladder bars.

There will be some slight adjustments as things get dialed in so I should be OK when done. The setup is a bit low and I appreciate the feedback, but I think once done should be low but OK from a safety perspective.

My fall back plan if by time done it turns out being too low is to go to 20x14 wheels in rear vs the 15x14. MT makes a set of tires at that size that keeps overall dimensions the same.

Side note front wheels and tires should be here next early Labor Day week.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts