S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting a build thread hope this is the right place for it.

Started with a 1984 s15 extended cab as my platform.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

I am having a shop do most the work as I have a 74 Vette project I have been working on personally and want this to see the road before I die of old age. :)

I had a motor built by Skip White Performance for my truck. It is based on a dart SBC block and dyno at about 600 hp&tq. Using a TCI built 350th transmission to make my street manners a bit better. I worked with builder to get something fun but not that I would hate to live with. Gave up some top end HP for example for less aggressive rocker ratio and such to make street life and reliability not terrible.

Currently have to body off frame with S&W back half kit using a 9” Ford rear and ridetech Tru Turn for front. Have coil overs for all 4 corners.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car

Rear wheels are on order American Racing VF480 15”x14” with a set of Mickey Thompsons 29x18 Sportsman S/R.

I have a lot of plans for truck and will post updates as it progresses.

For any that care the name was inspired by the book 1984.

I look forward to hearing any input especially from any of you have gone down this path as I go through the build.

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My power train is traditional I think few run a 434cui SBC as I went with.

In the end I may go ITB velocity stacks just because I love the look but that is so far down the line right now no rush to decide.

Once I get the front suspension in and can determine backspace for wheels will get them ordered but here is a shot of the rears already purchased.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Been there Done it
12,460 Posts
Watched Hot Rod Garage last night. Mike Finnegan has a Hilborn modern injection system on his Blasphemi 55 "gasser". While they had it on a dyno he ran it with and w/o the filters in the velocity stacks. The filters cost almost 200HP. Guess that's one way to detune for the street. But I'd think you'd want a completely different tune in that case.
Just thought it's something you might want to investigate farther.

Reactions: goes2fast

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Watched Hot Rod Garage last night. Mike Finnegan has a Hilborn modern injection system on his Blasphemi 55 "gasser". While they had it on a dyno he ran it with and w/o the filters in the velocity stacks. The filters cost almost 200HP. Guess that's one way to detune for the street. But I'd think you'd want a completely different tune in that case.
Just thought it's something you might want to investigate farther.
Nice tip I have not seen that episode yet. In the end I think the velocity stacks are going to be a pipe dream as from everything I can tell they are not great for my application.

I am hoping next week to have the back half installed and rest of frame boxed for extra strength.

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Nice build!

On the air filter ...
When I was younger and stoopid, I had a 66 Chevelle SS that was all bombed out. No engine when I bought it. No hood either.
I had a 70 Buick 455/TH400.
You know what happened.
I had a crappy (cheap) chrome air filter on it. Since no hood - when I punched it - I could see the air filter top actually buckle a little.
I installed a tall air filter from a 78 Chevy 454 dually (spelled TALL)
It actually felt stronger. I don't think it was my imagination.:unsure:

Obviously - this rig will be tubbed (?)
Nice choices with mods!

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the truck is being tubbed as you thought. I didn’t go 4 link and is the one area I am second guessing myself at the moment. I don’t think it will make a big difference overall in how it handles and rides but I could be wrong.

I am 100% on board with needing proper air flow. Right now going with a 14x4 air filter.

Your story reminds me when I was younger and had an old 69 Dart that I built up the engine and transmission. Was great until I broke the rear! Learned that lesson which is why I like to start from the ground up once I have an idea of what amount of power you are building to handle. I am no longer younger but still a bit on the stoopid side. 😀

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Quick update.

Back half is welded and frame is about to be sent out for cleaning. Need to fix a couple body mounts and any other spots in frame after blasting but should be sent out in short order after for powder coating.

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Floor Asphalt
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update.

Ordered my Wilwood rear brakes. Since I am running 15” wheels limits what I can do but went with the Forged Dynapro Low-Profile Rear Parking Brake Kit. Gets me an 11” rear rotor and 4 pot caliber

Ordered rear gears and settled on 3.55 ratio. I know not as performance minded but figured if my 600 hp/tq SBC is lacking I can always add more later. I want some quality of life when driving at higher speeds. I am running a 2400-2600 break away stall converter. I think it will still launch hard enough for a “fun street truck”.

Truetrac LSD on order as well.

If all goes well frame will be powder coated next week sometime.

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Things are moving a bit slow. Getting parts has taken longer than normal.

My 9” rear housing is back from powder coating.
Hand tool Crankset Tool Saw Metal

We are still waiting on gears and Truetrac LSD to get rear assembled.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts