S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, lets see if I have this right. I have a 2wd 97 4cyl reg cab. I want to lift to fit 31"s with no rubbing for mostly street use.
AIM 3" spindles
Moog 5662 coils
New Brake lines
Shackles for the rear (not sure what shackles)
New Shocks?
15x8 wheels(not sure of back spacing)
31x10.50 tires
And I have a daily driver(NOT TO STIFF) that looks great and $1000 less than I had?

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
You may have to do some trimming for 31's to fit, or at least hammer the inner fender away. Every truck is different, but you're pushing it with 31's with just coils and spindles. With a body lift or trimming, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You should be fine for the street.
replace and flip your balljoints while you are doing the work.

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
Also read the sticky which is on top of the page of this section, for a lot more info and such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know what are the best heavy duty ball joints to get? Also any recommendation on shocks? I hear blisten, but not sure what series or part #?

·
Registered
194 Posts
i would look into the baja customs upper arm kit. from what i have read and seen on dezertdimes it is one of the best kits of not thee best short arm kit out there. tubular upper arm with a 1 inch uniball instead of a ball joint. high mis allignment spacers, and it comes with gussets to weld on the frame to strengthen up the uca mounts. all grade 8 or higher hardware. plus you can order 3 inch coils, fabtech 3.5 inch spindle, bilstien shocks and +5 braided brake lines all for about 1k i think. hell even if you ran 2 inch coils id buy the upper arm kit just for the uniballs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a nice kit, but $1500 for the front is a little more than I wanted to spend. This truck will never see more than a mild trail here in south florida.

·
Registered
194 Posts
total it comes to 993 before shipping. but yeah price is a big factor these days, but i figure if im gonna do it im doing it right. ive been saying im gonna lift my truck for like a year now, and still havent done it cuz ive been finding different kits and pros and cons to all of them. i would really like to go long travel, but like you its more of a daily and lt kits arent cheep. and doing balljoints is a pain so if i can iliminate one set of them in the process, why not.

·
Zr2.2
2,190 Posts
AIM 3" spindles---EBAY
Moog 5662 coils or 5664---parts store or summitracing
New Brake lines
Shackles for the rear---EBAY
New Shocks?
Stock wheels or 15x7" 8" wide wheels will cause rubbing to be worse.
31x10.50 tires
In my opinion, that is your best budget bet for a mild lift and daily driver. The 5664 coils will give you a little more lift then the 5662's, they will however be slightly stiffer. I ran 5664's on my truck and to be honest I thought they rode nice once they broke in. Having shackles in the rear rather then add a leafs will make your ride much nicer. The rear of a truck being light causes add a leafs to be rather harsh, that is unless you carry a lot of loads. I did no trimming on my truck for 31's, spindles and 5664's, and stock wheels. I hammered the lip on my inner fender away from the tire is all. You can get the above parts for around $500 plus tires.

The baja customs kit is great I'm sure, but for a daily driver there is no way i could justify the cost. Yes it allows more lift from coils, but more lift from coils equals a worse ride. Uniballs are great but they also wear, and without being able to grease them grit will get it. I would'nt recommend uni's for driving in the rust belt at all, unless you like spraying them with oil. I'm all for "off the shelf" parts on a daily driver. Our trucks are known to wear out upper balljoints, and once you replace the rivited on stockers they are easy to replace. A quality balljoint will be fine for even some harsh off road use.

I absolutly love my long travel kit. The ride is much better then with stock length control arms, both on rough roads and off road due to the amount of travel. Trails where the truck rode real harsh are now easily absorbed by the LT kit. It is not quite a budget lift though if you have to buy all the parts new, closer to $1500 plus tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks,
LT certainly would be nice but it's like bringing a tank to a knife fight for me. Really here in the Florida Keys there is virtually no trails. just want a decent looking truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts