S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Oh Snap!
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright tommorow i am hopefully going to be getting my blower back, i am going to be running... ball park 6-9lbs of boost, I am installing Devils own meth injection with a #3 or #5 nossel.

First off, which nossel start with the #3? or 5? also what the difference.. if i install it with the 5 and it goes rich i can tune it out.. or is the idea to use a little meth as you can?

Now the one i'm kinda worried about, the usage.. how much meth/water are we talking, I am going to Mi to road race in like 3 weeks and will be on a track for 15-30 min runs straight and need to be able to go that long without needing more. I figure this takes the washer fluid tank out of the picture and probably puts me at mounting a 3-5 gallon plastic fuel tank in the bed and plumbing it up from their. Is their any reason i shouldn't do this? or will it not use enough to render a tank in the bed with a 3 or 5 nossel?

And last of all, whats your ratio, depending on who you talk to at devils own, one says 50 50 the other says nothing but 100 meth. I am leaning more toward 100 meth just because I would like that extra strain taken off of my TBI injection. However right now i'm not pushing the injectors that hard in the tune and really not pushing their max pressure only putting them up to about 18psi at max boost when i was running around 5lbs of boost.

Thanks !

·
Getting back to Boosting
881 Posts
Haven't had to much experience with Devil's own so I couldn't tell you what jet to use. What I did was use my Windsheild washer bottle and that lasted me about 4 days, and trust me I was always on it. My meth came in at 4 psi, so I was using it up pretty good. If your going to road race on a course than I would suggest doing a 49water to 51meth mix. This will help you prolong your cost on meth as well as serve for the best mix. That's the mix that would be best on the street as well. Find out what you A/F while spraying and monitor your intake temps as well, balance that out, and that should help you decide on what nozzle to try first. If 3 is the smallest, start out with that sense you aren't running BIG boost. If you start out with the 5 (considering that it's the bigger nozzle) you run the risk of running rich, and causing your oil to become washed out, then causing major damage. So when your tuning start with new plugs and a new oil change. Continously check you oil while tuning to make sure it's not breaking down due to running rich. Once you think you have your meth dialed in, change the oil again, and check the plugs. If the plugs still look good then your golden.
Note: When running meth or any other mod that requires an add on type fuel source it is very important to keep an eye on your fluids ESPECIALLY the oil. You should check the oil at least twice a week, and if at the road course, after every run. Checking the oil is something that most people over look, and is a common killer in performance engines. Hope this helps

jay

·
Oh Snap!
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot jay,
I am not sure what kinda boost i'm going to be running really, i had a 4lb pulley and now that i know i had a messed up boost gauge it was actually about 5.5, now i have a hybrid cut thats between a 6-8lb pulley, so i'm hoping i can get about 8psi out of it, but i also just had my blower completly gone through, all new bearings, impeller shaft, impeller was installed closer to compressor housing, and some machine work to hopefully to cut down on blow by or swirl by ... who knows.. so maybe i'll see 8-10lbs of boost or maybe i'll see 6 lol.

Now as far as devils own, i would tell anyone to goto them 110%, the guys are super nice, super helpful, one guy i talk to , chance, he gave me his cell number to call him, i've talked to him a couple times.

After talking to him today he told me to get a 3-5 gallon tank, mount it in the bed, and mount the pump in the bed. He said not only will my meth be cooler back their but the pumps can only pull 8ft but they can push over 25 without noticing it. So tommorow i am going to some farm stores to see about a hydrolic fluid tanks and if nothig else going to summit and going to get a race fuel tank for like 75 bucks.

He also told me to run the 3 nossel, but told me to plan on making meth 10-15% of my total fuel in boost, less then that and your not getting full effects of it, more then that and the vehicle becomes to dependent on it if somthing were to happen to the system.

So hopefully tommrow i will have the time to get it all together and see how she runs with a fresh blower, more boost, and meth.

·
Oh Snap!
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey also thanks for the pointers on the oil,

i was really concerned about washing the pistons so far while we were tuning it... Today when i pulled the plugs out to put in a new set of TR6s i noticed the threads on all of the plugs we wet. But the plugs ignition area was dry and you could tell it had ran rich but was starting to get really really clean in the middle.. i've not noticed anything like this in the past, the rest of the guys in the shop didn't think anything of it, just wondered what you thought.

Thanks again !

·
Getting back to Boosting
881 Posts
Well, one thing that you will learn using meth is that it burns hot and slow, which in turn is a good thing because it will clean everything it touches. Valves, pistons, anything. You will be amazed at how clean things will look after tearing it down. The wetness around the threads due state that maybe to much is being used, you may want to dial back a bit and use your nose on the oil. The guy from devils own is right. He said exactly what I was trying to say, I just couldn't word it as good as he did, that was perfect. You don't want to have your truck depend on the meth because if you run out then your screwed. I will be going with Devil Own this time around. I have heard nothing but good things about them and you confirmed it. As far as the action of the pump, thanks for the info. I didn't know that the pump can only draw from max 8ft that's good info. If you plan on going that route, I would definetly just purchase the CERTIFIED tank from summit to store your meth. That is something that shouldn't be messed with. You may even need the certified tank to run at the track. I was able to hide my meth in the windshield container, that doesn't look suspsicous like a 3 gallon tank does..haha. Besides it's better to be safe than sorry. If you can record your intake temps, and power increases. I would really be interested to see what you get compared to what I got..

Jay

·
Registered
102 Posts
do your self a favor and check out

www.alkycontrol.com

Talk to Julio...has lots of people going way fast on pump gas, and has been doing it for plenty of years now. Really nice kit...lots of turbo buicks running it and have great things to say about it!

·
Oh Snap!
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will take a look through their stuff, thats the first i;ve heard of them. Is that what you run ?

And as far as monitoring i do have a Lm1 for watching my AF, and i don't have the kit running yet the wet plugs were pre meth ever running...The guys in the shop were claiming it was probably just from it being to rich a couple times while we were tuning it. The to rich stuff is going to kill my truck before to lean does... lol.. at least now i know it wasen't a over kill only keeping my oil maybe 100 miles..

I don't have a IAT or really any way of monitoring it, i was going to fit a sensor into the back of my 2114 but then i used that hole for somthing else..

Ya the guy at devilsown are super nice, he originaly told me to run the stage 1 kit said he wasen't sure how a progressive would do on road coarses but then yesterday he was like ehh their pretty stable anymore so if you get this all on and have rich spots down low or lean up high etc and can't smooth it out let me know and 75 bucks i'll send it to you, said he would just refund me for the difference.

I do have a Gtech to try and measure power before and after but the problem is right now i'm on a decent tune for the lower boost... i am hoping the meth kinda picks up the slack for the higher boost and i don't have to do much with the tune or fuel pressure to bring it up, i've probably got a ton more fuel to use actually because i'm running 55lb injectors at about 75% duty but i am barley pushing them up on the fuel pressure. I would just rather it not be hard on them at least till i get some 68lb cop car injectors or 80lbs and start running them at 70's and 80's.

However next week or end of this weekend if everything happens fast enough i am going to go have it on a chasis dyno, I got a dynojet 248x like 10 min from my house and mustang dynos are actually built and headquarters like 20-25 from my house which they told me i could come tothe plant and run my truck on one of their test setups lol. So aleast soon i'll know if i've got anything special...

Well i guess i'm off to summit to get a working boost gauge and tank.. (summits 25-30 min from my house lol) I am in like a automotive hot spot, hawk brakes pads is like 10 min from summit, Cometic is by them, ASC water pumps is here and my fiancee's dad can get them at cost, like a million things are here.

·
Getting back to Boosting
881 Posts
cool good deal. If you get a chance to work with a tune, that would be even better with the meth, it will allow you to throw a shit load more timing which is part of the big advantage with meth.. I think I was at 36 degrees of timing.. Don't quote me on that ,, I do know it was in the 30's though..

Jay

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
brock1949 said:
I don't have a IAT or really any way of monitoring it, i was going to fit a sensor into the back of my 2114 but then i used that hole for somthing else..
Don't you have one stock that you can monitor with your datalogger?

·
Oh Snap!
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless i'm a moron (which does happen lol), or its somehow in the TBI i don't remeber putting a IAT in, and its not showing up in the datalog for sure. So i think the ol TBIs didn't get that fancy stuff lol.

And as far as the tune we are still working on the tune, i guess i didn't say what i was thinking. Were still in the middle of datalogging and updating it, my timing is actually still retarded alot from what i've seen so hopefully i've got more power waiting behind this meth. What i was trying to say was that i'm hoping i can get the additional boost on the same load on those injectors without having to go well into the 80 or so on the % duty.

Now today i picked up a Certified tank, its a 8 gallon... i know, i know its freakin giant, but the thing is it was the same price as the smaller one, and it kinda gave me warm fuzzies becuase it was shorter and fatter hopefully making sure it won't put to much stress on the mounting stuff. Plus then if i want to drive the truck to the track and run a bunch of sessions or over a couple days i don't have to worry about it... like when i go on the 4th, its a 8hr day and then were staying up their until may 6th when were going to lapeer drag way.

Which brings me to my next point, Jay, your in Mi why don't you come down and meet up with My freinds car club, myself and hopefully Rat is going to be their also. You should round up some guys and come down.. err up or where ever the hell you are lol. I would kill to see some of the projects you guys work on run..

Also i got some steel to form brackets to hold the tank and mount the pump next to it, also got some fittings to go from the 8an to 6an then to 1/8 ntp for the meth kit and a plug for the other pickup on that tank. tonight i'm going to start laying it out and maybe start welding it together but i got freaking class.. might be pushed till tommorow...

Thanks again !

·
Getting back to Boosting
881 Posts
Just for thought, you should make sure that you install a float switch with that tank with a L.E.D. indicator that way when you run low on meth you have a warning. Those 55lb injectors will serve you well into some boost. I wouldn't be worried about that you should be fine. Hell, I'd come chill with ya. I wouldn't have anything cool to drive just yet, I have my s-10 SS in pieces and Im waiting for my Solstice to get here so I can do the 402 cu 6 speed swap. I should have it by the next 2 weeks, hell I ordered it back in Nov. haha. Im sure TJ would come down with me. hahaha

·
Oh Snap!
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kick ass, its up to you guys If you want to run or whatever but unless i make it down to a local track it will be the first time i've been on the 1/4 with this truck! or ever!

Only tracks i've been on was with a meth formula racing kart on road coarses for a couple years when i raced (hence why i want on a damn road coarse again so bad)

And does anyone sell a good kit for a float etc ? This tank has a giant blue like foam block inside, should i rip it out if i do some kinda meter... or else i have no idea how i would make it work lol...

Also if you guys are for sure coming down let me know and i'll get you my number etc and we can all meet up before or whatever, I am going to be at gingerman all day long on the road coarse may 4th if anyone wants to come up for that, their is going to be some kick ass cars in our group running, 2 vipers , one is blown... should be interested..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts