S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be simple may not be.
I bought a 97 s10 4.3l 5 speed about a year ago it’s super sketchy but runs, has what looks like a kill switch under the dash and everything else.
Every now and then it seemed like the starter would skip so i popped it off and it was only held by one of the two bolts I’ve been reading and seeing a lot about shims and shimming shimmers in shimwear and got to wondering if the bolt was off as a ghetto rigged shim or whoever did this didn’t know what they were doing.
I’ve jumped the starter so I know that works.

·
Been there Done it
9,225 Posts
Put both bolts in and try it. If there is an issue with it binding, then consider shimming. Most don't need it. the only time it's necessary to shim a starter is if the driving gear on the starter is binding on the teeth on the ring gear.
If you think it's binding use a 1/16" allen wrench to slip between the flywheel teeth and the starter teeth. If it fits the clearance is good. The bent end of the allen wrench is easier to get in there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess it did sound more like a statement....
I’m on the side of the house laying under the truck and I can’t imagine trying to get an allen up there but I’ll try again tomorrow

1 - 5 of 5 Posts