S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was trolling my local CL looking for any deals on S10 parts and i came across this ad for a 97 SS S10, black and looks to be real clean and straight. the ad was a few weeks old, so i figured it was gone, but sent the guy an email and low and behold he still had it, probably because he was asking 3K firm and it has a blown engine.

I got it for 2500, which i feel is a decent price, truck has 124K on it, interior is dam near mint condition, in the light/med gray, only issue is stains in the carpet. Supposedly the engine had been rebuilt at ~80K miles, bigger cam, head work, edelbrock headers and flowmaster cat-back exhaust, underdrive pulleys, a tune or something done to the PCM but the guy wasn't to sure. Said the truck ran real strong, never gave him any issues till one day he hit the gas from a stop and boom!!

Got alot of paperwork with the truck, including the original window sticker! Suspension, brakes is all stock. Not sure if the trans has had any work done.

My plan is to convert the wiring harness over to an 0411 PCM, and swap in a 95 vette LT1 that is converted to OBD2, im going to run a rear mount vortec distributor and retain the stock V6 harness modified to run the V8. Sanderson 1 3/4 swap headers with a 3" y-pipe into a single 3.5" exhaust. Blazer drop spindles with custom big brakes and 20" ZL1 replica wheels with 255/35 F and 295/30 R tires, also gonna drop it 2" on top of the factory ZQ8 suspension.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also, the lift in the bed and the bed box didnt come with the truck. I'm also looking for a stepside bed as i want to swap in on with some step shavers, should look nice and clean.

Will be posting some 4.3 parts up for sale as soon as i get the engine out and everything inventoried to know whats stock and whats not. Keep your eyes on the classified section if your interested.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Nice find, that's gonna be one hell of a truck when you swap it lol. I don't think I've seen too many SS's with a light color interior.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice find, that's gonna be one hell of a truck when you swap it lol. I don't think I've seen too many SS's with a light color interior.
Yeah i was thinking that as well, on the CL as he only had the exterior pics, and i pretty much assumed it was the dark charcoal interior, but was very surprised when he sent me the interior pics. But i kinda like the light grey, i had a 2K Bravada with the same light grey and it was pretty nice. Gonna look for some light grey leather blazer or bravada seats and door panels as well.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
It's gonna be bad enough driving a black truck in Texas - good thing it has a light interior. Nice find.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Subscribed to see where this goes.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heres a small update,

Been working on the truck alittle, posted a bunch of parts off the truck for sale on my local CL, and almost right away a fellow member here scooped up the edelbrock headers and flowmaster catback exhaust setup. Then i sold the stock intake manifold setup the other night to a guy that needed a new spider injector.

When i removed the exhaust, i realized that the stock cat had been hollowed out, but the truck still had all 4 O2 sensors plugged in and working, no simulators at all or resistors in the wiring, so im thinking there must be some sort of tune in the PCM to turn off the rear O2's, but there are stickers or anything on the PCM other than the stock GM ones.

So far the intake was stock, the heads and valvetrain and cam look to be stock as well, so not really sure what was done to this thing when it was supposed to have been rebuilt 40K miles ago. may have just spun a bearing as 4.3's do and they fixed what broke??

Truck is a nasty oily mess underneath since it threw a rod, but other than that very clean and tidy. Gonna work on getting the rest of the engine/trans yanked out in the nest few weeks and get her ready for the LT1!!

Going tomorrow to pick up a 96 4L80e trans thats fairly new with low miles for 350, that way i don't have to worry about any trans problems from the 60e. Then i need to get the true trac ordered for the blazer 8.5 disk axle i have, and get it all back together with the 3.73 gears, and still trying to decide if im going to upgrade the axles or just run the stock ones for now, im only gonna be in the ~375whp range so im thinking the stock ones will be happy for awhile with street tires.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont plan on reusing the stock x-member, already knew it would be a no go.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just a not the 60e came in the camaro's with no issues, I had a ws6 with the stock tranny pushing 335 to the wheel. But the 80e at the price hard to pass up

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My plans include a turbo down the road, and with the 60e its not if but when, ans the 80e will be much more reliable.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Got my 4L80e today, its out of a 96 2500, its a gm goodwrench transmission installed at the dealer, previous owner had a new engine and trans put in the truck about 25-30K miles ago and then the truck got wrecked and parted out. Trans with converter for 350 was a smoking deal, and well worth the 2 hour drive each way to pick it up!!

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Time for an update on this project.

Got all my parts to redo the rear suspension with a custom truck arm setup using QA1 double adjustable coil overs, 45" long NASCAR truck arms and a front crossmember and boxing plate kit from Hotrods to Hell.

Also, Ive been looking for a sportside bed, and traded a guy yesterday that had a 2002 and wanted too trade straight across, both trucks black and both beds in similar condition.

Ive also swapped out the stock air bag wheel in favor of a grant polished wheel with light grey leather that matches the stock interior really nice, and have a floor shifter and console to swap in as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That steering wheel looks really great in there.

Not to thread jack too much but I've got a black 97 ss as well but with a 98 front end and my airbag is on the fritz because the previous owner didn't swap the sensors on the core support. How hard was it to install the Grant wheel? Good luck with the build I'm really liking what you've got going with it!
Jessica

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That steering wheel looks really great in there.

Not to thread jack too much but I've got a black 97 ss as well but with a 98 front end and my airbag is on the fritz because the previous owner didn't swap the sensors on the core support. How hard was it to install the Grant wheel? Good luck with the build I'm really liking what you've got going with it!
Jessica
They sell an install kit that makes it a bolt on deal, you just have to remove the stock air bag, steering wheel and clock spring.

The install kit i used is P/N 5196-1 Billet Polished Aluminum

The wheel is P/N 1131 they also have a 4 spoke version of the same wheel.

Then i also added a Billet Horn Button P/N 5876

Then once i got the steering wheel installed, i realized it was rreally close to the turn signal arm so i bought a 2in spacer P/N 4003 and now it fits really good.

I did this same mod to a 2000 Olds Bravada i had back in 07, it also had the light grey interior and i used the 4 spoke wheel on it, and didnt need the extra 2in spacer.

The adapter/install kit slides right on the splined shaft sticking up once the stock wheel and clock spring are removed, then tighten it down with the stock center nut and the wheel bolts to the adapter with 5 bolts. You will have to get a new wire for the horn to work thought, as the stock one goes thru the clock spring. Basically you need the plastic piece that twist into the horn button and then splice the wire into the wire that connects to the horn button on the grant wheel. The plastic twist in piece you need will be from a 94 and older truck that doesn't have an air bag. I still need to get this piece for mine and once i get that ill install the billet horn button.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also wanted to add a few more mods ive done in the last few weeks.

I pulled the stock steering shaft and replaced the rag joint with the flaming river u-joint, very easy mod and the rag joint was pretty loose.

Also, since im swapping in the 0411 PCM, it wont be able to control the stock 97 ABS module, so i removed it, and swapped the master cylinder for one from a 90-92 Camaro, but reused the stock 97 reservoir, and also ordered a new proportioning valve for a 90-92 Camaro 1LE with 4 wheel disk. The camaro M/C has the outlet lines coming out on the engine side, and the prop valve has a mounting bracket on it that mounts it right below the M/C for a factory installed look, now i just have to take the three stock brake lines that came out of the ABS unit rerouted to the outlets of the new prop valve, and plumb in a line lock solenoid into the front brakes.

Ive also got some Spohn front tubular lower control arms, and new MOOG ZQ8 coils, Belltech Blazer drop spindles, and some tubular upper arms from Speedway Motors with Pro Forged tall ball joints installed to rebuild the front suspension.

I also have 09 CTS-V 14.5" rotors and 04 CTS-V 4 piston Brembo calipers to adapt to the blazer drop spindles, but they will require bigger wheels, my plan for the wheels is a set of ZL1 replicas in 20x9 front and 20x11 rear, but right now i don't have the 2K for the wheels and tires, so im gonna put blazer disk brakes all around with drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads and run a set of 01+ ZQ8 wheels till i get the ZL1 wheels and tires.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thought id post up a few pics of the mods ive done so far.

Here's the steering shaft, very easy to do, and much improved steering feel over the stock rag joint.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Also, ive had the idea to to a truck arm suspension on an S10 for about the last 3-4 years, and on this truck its finally gonna happen. I bought some 45" NASCAR spec truck arms of eBay, and the front cross member and boxing plates are from Hotrods to Hell that actually makes an S10 specific kit, but i just wanted the front cross member, and then i have a set of double adjustable QA1 coil over shocks.

The truck arms were used from the factory on the 62-72 Chevy half ton trucks with coil springs and a panhard bar, NASCAR uses this same basic setup except they add screw jacks on top of the springs to be able to easily change ride height and also weight bias on each corner of the car to adjust for different track conditions.

My plan is the mount the coil overs on the back of each truck arm, right behind the axle, and i have a panhard rod ill use to locate the 2001 8.6 Blazer disk brake axle.

Here's a pic of the front cross member and truck arms layed out on the garage floor.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Time for an Update, havent been working on the truck much in the last month or two, but today i finally got the stock 4.3 and trans pulled out, as i sold the trans to a guy here locally for 525. Also found out that the V6 had one of those not so cool 3 piece crankshafts!!!!!

When the crank broke, it busted one rod and pulled the wrist pin out on the other rod, major carnage and the block is a boat anchor. Gonna pull the heads as they look to be very clean and list them up for sale and scrap the rest. Ill get some pics tomorrow of the crank piece that i pulled out of the hole in the oil pan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts