S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys... i met a guy at burger king... and he had his 95-96 SS in the parking lot.... we got to talkin...since i pulled right up next to his SS in the parking lot... and he must have saw me... but anyway, he wants to race me... hes got a a 5 spd just like me... of course he's got a 15 HP gain on me(if i were stock... but i'd say i'm doin about 210-220??)... he does'nt have any mods....i think i got him beat ... but i don't know much about those SS's he wants to bet some $$$ so... what do i do... my mods are below...

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
If it is an SS s-10 then go for it, you should have more HP stock than he does, the ss didn't do anything to the engine and the newer engines produce more HP.
The ss isn't any faster than an extreme, it is just a handling package.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnx

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
i'm not really sure how much like the xtreme the ss are.....my x came with the locking differential sway bar and hopshock....and the ss probably has wider tires too....so he'll probably have a traction advantage over you.....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I don't know... I believe the 94-95 SS has more hp than the regular s-10, something like 195 compared to 185 stock or something like that. And I think the newer ones 96-98 are weaker... like 180 hp. The SS isn't just the suspension package, the new SS's have the zq8 suspension, but that isn't all. I don't know everything about these, but I have read up on them... and here is a page w/ a lot of info... http://www.s-series.org/ss/history.html . One way to tell if it is 96+ is that is when the suspension was changed to zq8 (lower), and the new 5 spoke zq8 wheels instead of stock 5 spoke wheels. Also, I would wonder about the 5 speed, because I believe that wasn't stock, but I think you could get it special ordered in the 94-95.

DogP

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Also, if you need to know more info on the SS, you should post in the SS section... they would be the ones that would know what they're talking about.

DogP

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
as far as I can remember, at no time during the ss's history were they ever offered with a 5spd, they always came with an auto, so his may not even be a true ss...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
could just be a wanna be...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah... they had the discussion about the 5sp. before... but ARCdidit says he has one, and there have been other sightings (I feel like I'm talking about a UFO). Here is a link to the thread. http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5512 . Since I have no idea on this, I'll leave it up to you to believe whatever you want. I do however believe that ss's were available from special order w/ 5 speeds (I wouldn't buy one if I couldn't have a 5 speed).

DogP

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
ya a guy i work with just sold his 96 ss 5spd....it has everything that the ss had so either it is a 5spd ss or the previous owner put all the suspension stuff and ss emblems on himself....

·
RIP Grant
217 Posts
race him for fun.....and see the outcome.......Then race him for $$$ if you win......Just my .02.....Turtle

·
Registered
57 Posts
94-95 SS had 195hp CPI (central port injection), 96-98 had 180hp SFI (sequential fuel injection). All SS's came with ZQ8 suspension, 96-98 had 16" wheels and a 2" drop, 94-95 had 15" wheels and no drop. They all had 3.42 limited slip rear end, and a 4 speed auto tranny. Just my guess, this probably isn't a real SS because its a 5 speed, but go for it anyway. Although you'd never beat my SS. Just my .02.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you sure bout that.... as far as i would NEVER beat yer ss.... hmmm... i'm gettij flowmaster 40's next week..... in adidtion to my other mods.... we will see....

·
Registered
57 Posts
thats right you'd NEVER beat me lol. I use to have a 40 flowmaster, it soulded real good. Your getting dual 40s? I know a guy with dual 40s and it kind of sounds like those older cavilers, its quite loud but sounds under powered. I think a single works the best with the 4.3. but then I guess its up to you.

·
ZQ8 2001
901 Posts
every ss s10 came with the 4L60e auto tranny. if anyone tells you otherwise, they are lying or misinformed. the ss package is RPO option B4U. this option was an appearance/suspension package, similar to what the xtreme is today... BUT, it was only available if you had a standard cab, the HO V6, auto tranny, and all the power convinience groups, and only came in red, white, and black. if you want to argue, you better have a window sticker that shows the ss package and 5speed tranny listed, or a picture of the rpo code list from the glove box door.

:)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey... badass you seem to know a little about exausts.... can i fit a duel outlet on mine.... it's reg cab reg box... i looked, and all i can get is single.... mostly because i have a zq8 suspension which comes with that sway bar in the rear that blocks the duel setup. oh, i would be happy for just the single but.... i'd kinda like the duels for fx you know... oh... and how much would the flow's 40 cost.... i was also lookin at gibson... but not sure how good they sound.... i don't want loud all the time.... just when i'm on it hard... thanx

·
ZQ8 2001
901 Posts
well, i originally had the flow 40 with dual pipes ran out the back. i also have a reg cab, fleetside and it was damn tight fit on the driver side fitting aroung the fuel evaporator tank, spare tire, and sway bar (like you said).

i made a big mistake and let mieneke do the work and it rattled on everythng. i went to a decent shop to correct it, and couldnt afford to have it all redone... so i just had the turndowns put on as a temp solution til i got the loot to fix it right. well, i liked it with the turndowns A LOT! no way id ever run pipes after hearin it this way.

HTH :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Clutchappy- a single muffler (single in dual out) should work. Mine truck underneath is a bit diff. than yours is, but I know a s/cab xtreme with what you want. I know ex/cab ZQ8 would have a little more room, but by the spare and sway bar should be the same, I see 4 in my area that run what you want( there all lowered). The 40 has a nice rumble at idle, but people here you coming when ya walk on it. Your truck should have 2.25 pipe, get 2.5 when ya get it. For both my exhausts I had custom shops do the work and every thing went fine. Good luck, hope my rambling helps.

·
Trick MotorSports!
1,253 Posts
its not hard to duplicate an SS. like DD said, check for the B4U code in the glove box. Also, check under the hood for the CPI, it'll be a bright orange VORTEC on top of the intake manifold.

I ran a 95 SS and we were matched mod for mod and I pulled on him a bit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts