S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
schlsux said:
I've got 2 5 gal's but i'm getting a 12 gal. What is the max pressure for these tanks? at SD.com they all say 150 but i've heard you guys putting way more to them.

I tried search i'm pretty sure this is an easy answer.
I think burst pressure is like 700 PSI +, but don't quote me. I have 2 Viair 400's into a 12 gal tank and run it to 170 PSI with no problems. Maybe it is just a recommended pressure so people don't go wild, but I believe there are guys on this board that run 200+ with no issues.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
i have had several tanks up to 600 for short periods of time with no issuses and run 200 daily

·
PANFACE
3,388 Posts
i run 200 daily and then to really show off i run 300-350, but that doesn't mean every tank can take that. some people run a lot of pressure, like ibanez691 said he has ran 600. but then again, i have heard of tanks blowing at 200, i think thats more of a rare thing though for a tank to blow at that psi. i believe they are required to have a burst pressure of 3 times its rated pressure.

·
S-Clusive NY
990 Posts
I've had enough pressure in mine that my valves wouldn't open b/c there was so much pressure in them. I had to bleed it out of the water trap.

·
PANFACE
3,388 Posts
twotoneds10 said:
I've had enough pressure in mine that my valves wouldn't open b/c there was so much pressure in them. I had to bleed it out of the water trap.
thats has to do with the valves though and not really having so much pressure in the tank, my valves for my rear didn't work at 220psi in the tank

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
bubbles in the tank lol i wanna see that if a tank fails its gonna fail not bend the metal into bubbles i have had the tanks up to 600 and even left the pressure in it for several min and never had a problem

·
ITS NOT EASY BEING EASY, MODERATOR
19,339 Posts
ibanez691 said:
bubbles in the tank lol i wanna see that if a tank fails its gonna fail not bend the metal into bubbles i have had the tanks up to 600 and even left the pressure in it for several min and never had a problem

once again you talk without showing anything. i never back talk some of your silly posts but really man if your gonna post show your proof.

anyways max tank pressure- most all tanks we use are rated at 150 psi constant pressure.

the black, chrome and stainless from sd are 150 constant psi.

fbi, semi shops and some other stores sell 200 psi rated tanks.

they all have a 2 to 4 x burst pressure though.

but even if you run over the rated pressure you will end up will stress cracks on the welds and bubbles in the tank.

a few of use can prove it. matt from gauge can show nice bubbles in his 12 gal. tank

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dragginbody said:
once again you talk without showing anything. i never back talk some of your silly posts but really man if your gonna post show your proof.

anyways max tank pressure- most all tanks we use are rated at 150 psi constant pressure.

the black, chrome and stainless from sd are 150 constant psi.

fbi, semi shops and some other stores sell 200 psi rated tanks.

they all have a 2 to 4 x burst pressure though.

but even if you run over the rated pressure you will end up will stress cracks on the welds and bubbles in the tank.

a few of use can prove it. matt from gauge can show nice bubbles in his 12 gal. tank
You are so right... my question to these guys running 400 to 600psi is why would anyone take a tank ratted for 150-200psi and take a chance of it failing... why not run tanks ratted that high...

·
**** you
9,528 Posts
03 S10 eXtreme said:
it's pretty safe 3x the reconmended psi, so times 150psi by 3 and there you go
thats what ive heard.. i heard DOT ratings are like 1/3 of their ability. my tanks are from a semi shop, rated at 150 psi, and were put up to 200+ daily by the guy i bought them from.

·
Registered
853 Posts
there is such a big difference between taking a 150 rated tank and running it at 200 versus runing the same tank at 450 to 600.

Please be responsible or they will legislate new laws which can effect all of us.....

most people's nitrogen cylinders are already in violation of laws, over pressurizing tanks is increasing the risk of special laws for all air tanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts