S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Growing up with freshwater tanks I always wanted a salt tank. So about a month ago started a salt tank. 20g tall. Two filters, one canister the other a standard hang on tank. Plenty of air in the water. About 12lbs of live rock (coral) and proper water changes and perfect specific gravity. Everything is good, Ph, ammonia, nitrites, temp. But the Nitrates won't stabilize. Always at 40 to 80 ppm. Less at water changes, but still high. Four damsels and three hermit crabs are in there.

What could be causing this high level nitrates???

·
s10***** whore.
1,118 Posts
for one thing... air in sw is not good.. get some power heads.. also.. how long did it cycle.. my 5.5 gal took over 4 weeks to cycle.

·
chevrolet > all
702 Posts
My dad built a huge 150 gallon saltwater aquarium. If you have not set your aquarium up long there will not be much bacteria in there. My dad only has to change the water in his about once every two months. Alot of this is due to this huge sump he built in the bottom. Basically water trickles over these little plastic balls and is then pumped back up to the aquarium. Bacteria live on the plastic balls and do their thing aparently. He has about 7 or 8 decent sized fish in there and its almost self-regulating. Give it a few more weeks and see what happens.

·
Daily Customs
1,664 Posts
yea if you have not let it cycle then you have not build a bacteria on your rock, get a 2 power heads and put in to help move the water through and around the rock, you want about 1.5 to 2 lbs of rock and live sand per gal. to get the bateria without having a sump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts