S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a serious overheat due to a casting / freeze plug leak.
Also had a nearly seized alternator.
Now it throughout code p0341,
and sounds like marbles hitting plastic.
I'm curious what you think, and could it be something with the timing gear and chain install I did a month or so ago?

·
Registered
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
562 Posts
Is there any chance you could be a bit more specific about a "serious overheat"? That's pretty generic. Cooking an engine can cause multitudes of problems, both immediately and/ or subsequently. BTW, what is a "nearly seized" alternator, and what was the remedy? Anyway, an initial assessment worth exploring would be to investigate the valve train's parts. The description reminds me of a telltale valvetrain 'clatter'. Throughout - fixed - 'threw out' P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor error code. The sensor could be bad, or possibly a loose/ sloppy chain tensioner resulted in a slip in timing. Was the engine running OK after the gear & chain replacement, at least until the overheating?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am trying to upload a video. No idea how to.
The alternator is hard to turn, and grinds.
It lost almost all it's coolant. Gauge never moved until it shut down. Coolant blew under the vehicle, I never even knew.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well, it sounds like the alternator is toast (bad bearings), along with the more serious issues at hand. And I forgot to ask a basic question earlier; can the engine be turned over (by cranking or w/ a wrench), or is it seized up? Were the 2 plugs 'unaccounted for' before or after the engine hurled? It really is best to put all that you know on the table at once, instead of dribbling out info a little at a time. One "little" (or big) thing that was/ is 'forgotten'/ overlooked can be the key to resolving problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It cranks, it runs a minute or so, sounds horrible, revs up and down, dies.
Plugs are post abs removal. I didn't see where they plug into the abs pump though.
I put in all new freeze plugs. Had the starter and motor mounts out. Both inner fenders out, and drivers outer fender off.
Throws the p0341 sensor code.
New water pump and timing gears and chain prior to this. Running it without the serpentine belt.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,689 Posts
If you had provided a year of truck, we could take the time to look a connectors on Rockauto to try and figure out where the plugs go.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,689 Posts
I am trying to upload a video. No idea how to.
The alternator is hard to turn, and grinds.
It lost almost all it's coolant. Gauge never moved until it shut down. Coolant blew under the vehicle, I never even knew.
Put your video on YouTube and provide a link.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,689 Posts
The blue plug looks like the abs connector. The one by the washer bottle needs a better pic of the open end.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It cranks, it runs a minute or so, sounds horrible, revs up and down, dies.
Plugs are post abs removal. I didn't see where they plug into the abs pump though.
I put in all new freeze plugs. Had the starter and motor mounts out. Both inner fenders out, and drivers outer fender off.
Throws the p0341 sensor code.
New water pump and timing gears and chain prior to this. Running it without the serpentine belt.
What brand of freeze plugs did you install? FWIW, I have heard of reports that the Dorman ones may be a bit undersized and prone to leaking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, both those plugs are ABS, so that's no help.
The cam sensor code appears to compare the distributor signal to the crank shaft signal. It makes me think maybe something is wrong behind the timing cover. Something is loose, and hitting the cover?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts