S-10 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey all, new here, just wondering about my truck's tranny...95 S10 pickup 4.3 TBI Vortec and a 5 speed...Seems to catch a little when shifting into 3rd and 4th...(When I go to shift it...feels like the shifter slightly catches a gear or something) Its not hard to shift or anything...actually drives just fine...just curious why its "catching" like that when I shift...Also, If im sitting still with the engine running, and go through the gears...it doesnt do it...its perfectly smooth....only when Im driving. Yeah, im pushing the clutch all the way in, and my clutch fluid is full..as well as nice fresh trans fluid....whats going on with my trans? Should I be seriously worried about it??(not going to need a new tranny soon am i??)

·
ZR2 Interceptor
662 Posts
When the truck is idling but the clutch is depressed, the 3rd/4th gears within the transmission are NOT moving. This is why you don't feel it unless the truck is in motion. Because it happens to only the 3rd and 4th gears, the problem is not related to the clutch or any of the bearings common to the mainshaft (pilot, throwout, output shaft, etc.).

Here are a few things to check:
- 3rd/4th gear shift rail (bent)
- 3rd/4th linkage (bent or out of adjustment)
- blocking rings (brass particles in the fluid)
- synchronizer assembly

If you recently changed the fluid, you should have checked it for particles. This is why transmission shops don't want you changing your fluid whenever there is a problem. The old fluid tells a lot about the condition of your transmission without having to initially open it up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts