S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This idia I have been working on for some time and is what I use in my air cannon.

when your valves freeze in the winter it is a real PITA! :rant:
so this is a manual way to use the valve when frozen ( just to get you home)

first let me explain how these valves work,

I drew up this pic in paint to help.

when the valve is in the "off" state or closed. pressure from the IN port is directed on the top of the Diaphragm ( rubber thing) making a nutural pressure on the rubber seal. A small spring will place just enought pressure to keep the valve closed.

When you open the valve or put power to th coil. it will pull up on the small plunger in the center of the coil pac. that will open small passageway for air to exit the top of the Diaphragm and into the OUT side of the valve faster then it can enter this makes a diff in pressure on the Diaphragm. this then alows the in pressure to force it open and in turn OPEN the valve.

Now the only problem with this system is when you get watter in your valve it will freeze in those small passageways that go to the coil. or ( mini valve) this will not alow air to exit the HEAD of the valve. and will freeze your valve. also if your valve is sticking this is also the case.

My fix to the problem

Just remove the head of your valve ( ususaly 4 bolts) .. ( MAKE SHURE! there is no air in the system!) now drill and tap the head in the center with a 1/4" NPT tap and install one close nipple and a 1/4" ball valve. reinstall the valve head. and you are good to go.

How this works,
Lets say you go out to your truck after work and the valve is frozen shut and you are on the ground.
all you have to do is walk back to your valve and flip the ball valve open on that valve for 1/2 a sec you will hear a pssst and the valve will open alowing you to fill up your bag. and get home.

I think this is a good safty to have for any air ride system that sits in the cold.

Let me know what you think.

NOTE: my spelling sucks.. get over it ;)

hope this helps some people.

EDIT: You can use a petcock instead of a ball valve if you would like ;)

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can drill the hole anywhere on the head as long as it does not interfeir sp? with opperation.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I will try to make an animtion of this soon.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Man that sounds awsome and now I understand how the valves work and why when u drain your tanks with the system aired up the truck looses air too.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
I dont think itll work for that many people (if it works at all) because a lot of peoples valves are inaccessable when the truck is down..

·
I'm poor
1,665 Posts
I'd go with 1/8" stuff. 1/4" is large. plus you would need to install the nipple then grind the backside so it doesnt get in the way of the diaphram

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Let me also mention that theres a lot of parts and ridges in the casting right where you want to drill. Also it wont work at all with SMC 3/8" but maybe 1/2"..

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AVTekk said:
I dont think itll work for that many people (if it works at all) because a lot of peoples valves are inaccessable when the truck is down..

ohh the idia works! I use it on my air cannon.

for the people who can not get at there valves you can extend the lines ( from the hole you drilled ) with some 1/4" line and put a small group of them maby in the cab or bed. for emergency ;)

·
un banned
9,196 Posts
AVTekk said:
I think I get more valves sticking open rather than sticking closed..what then? hehe
that was the problem i had last winter. they were always open. never got stuck closed. the best solution is to just do what i did, and park it for the winter.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Baggd2DaXtreeme said:
that was the problem i had last winter. they were always open. never got stuck closed. the best solution is to just do what i did, and park it for the winter.
yeah but not all of us have that luxury...

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ohhh yea good point a stuck open valve is more comon, but the fix is a bit harder,

same setup you will just have to supply air to the port you drilled. that will froce the valve closed or, force the ice that is stuck in the path's

And yes 1/8" would be fine just harder to find valves for .

I will take a pic of my air cannon one and post it for all to see ;)

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPdate a simple ball valve will fix this ;) ha ha.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts