S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
resU deretsigeR
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im willing to bet This could have been allready asked, But I dont care.

So I got a 4-wheeler. Im getting a trailer. I want to load the ATV on the Trailer. Ok, now that we got that settled.

Would it be smarted to get a Hitch made for my truck (buying one can get expensive fast), or just use the bumper hitch. I got the right size ball on the bumper for the trailer already. I just didn't know if it was necessary or not. I mean after all, an ATV and small trailer cant weigh all that much, can they?

Sooner or later I would like to make one. Whats the best way to go about doing that? Im looking for cheap too :D

*Edit* Also Im pretty sure about this, but a 2.8 is plenty strong enough to pull an atv w/ trailer right? 5-speed and 3.73 (I think)

·
resU deretsigeR
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why dont you just haul it in the bed?
Because, first off I have a box in the back, so there just inst enough room, thought of that already, Second off the box is about ready to fall off the truck as it is, I dont need to give it a little bump, especially with my Quad on it, Third off, the back of the box floor is gone. I literally cant use the last foot or two because somehow it rusted out, or somehow got cut up or something, so there is no support until I hit a cross member in the frame about 2 feet from the end if it (If that made ANY sence, other wise Ill get a picture tomarrow). I have thought about putting a flat bed on it with tilt, but that seems like to big of a job for me to do right now, with no place to really work on it.

Also the trailer could come in handy other times too. it was about 2 foot sides so I could throw some things in it if I move or what not. Nothing too heavy, just a kind of saftey thing IF i should ever need it, ya know?

Also, I dont think I shoulda posted this in the fab forum. I was looking through here for how to make a hitch, and I think I musta clicked on new topic in here, Mods can feel free to move it to where ever they see fit :)

If this is the best spot for it, yay! :D

·
"better days"
155 Posts
get a good used one from a jy or somewheres. and yeah im curious about ur floorless bed i want pic

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
from what im picturing, i would say your bumper hitch might be safer than you trying to make one cheap.

·
resU deretsigeR
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
get a good used one from a jy or somewheres. and yeah im curious about ur floorless bed i want pic
Yea, thinking of heading out the thr pick-n-pull tomorrow see if they got one or not.

and sorry forgot about the picture, making myself a note to take it tomorrow. its not really floor less, just.. no support under it? lol I dont know how to really enplane it, but ill get a pic tomarrow, promis!

·
resU deretsigeR
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
from what im picturing, i would say your bumper hitch might be safer than you trying to make one cheap.
Well how much does it take to make one? it cant be all that much. $30-40 for materials? better then the $100+ Iv been seeing.

·
resU deretsigeR
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
def more than that. i'd use atleast 3/16 - 1/4" plate and some 3/16" wall tubing. shit aint as cheap as u think.
**** that then, bumper hitch'll do just fine thankyouverymuch :haha:

·
resU deretsigeR
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you're bed is in the kind of condition you say it is, is the bumper (or for that matter the frame) in any condition to pull a trailer?
Frame is solid, and strait as an arrow. It has a little surface rust, but thats it. We went over that one when we bought it to make sure. The bed we knew wouldn't last, but we figured thats an easy fix (sort of).

The frame is plenty good enough to pull.

Im uploading pics of the bed now, so I'll have em up soon.

·
resU deretsigeR
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*PICS*

How it looks normally:

Close up with mat moved. see how the bed is all tore up and gone?

Where the cross member is breking through from the bumps :) :

This is a corner. you can see the solid (but surface rusty) frame. Also you can see the bed is rusted away:

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
The bumper should be able to pull it as long as it's under 2000 lbs total. FYI, a hitch from a second-gen pickup will also fit if you happen to find one in a junkyard.

·
resU deretsigeR
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Bagged
2,209 Posts

Thats 25$ worth of steel it was about 6$ a foot. You need 2" ID, and you might have to file down the seam inside. That is a hitch that works with a roll pan, I bought mine from summit before I knew how to weld and made that one pictured for a friend. You would have to drop it down another 2 - 2.5 inches to hang just below the bumper.

I Beveled the seams and welded it hot, trailer hitches are nothing for someone who is only a so so welder, you dont want your hitch being anything but strong.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts