S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My late brother's 1985 S10 with the 2.8 V6 hasn't been turned over in ~4 years, but the engine would crank freely at that point. I've been going through all the steps of starting a disused car, draining the gas tank, changing oil and other fluids, etc... About a month ago, I sprayed fogging oil in all the cylinders and let that work while I did other things. At that point, I was able to turn the engine by hand a little.

This time, I decided to pull all the plugs, re-spray, and take the engine through a full cycle to make sure everything was moving. It was, in fact, now turning very easily -- until one spot where it came to a hard stop. When I backed off, I could hear a clank sound. I turned the engine in the other direction and same thing. I could turn it with a 3/8" ratchet on the crankshaft until it came to a hard stop, like something is in the way. Same noise backing off.

So how screwed am I? Would a stuck valve do this? At this point, I've probably reached the limit of my capabilities. At least I didn't try to crank it and really slam metal parts together. It sucks, though. My dad bought this car new in 1985, and I was really looking forward to getting it going again.

·
Administrator
21,270 Posts
Pull the valve covers and watch the rockers as you/someone turns by hand. Check for any missing valve keepers or dropped valves.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
786 Posts
using a tranni funnel(flex) put about an ounce of MM oil in each cylinder- wait a day and try to turn- sounds like a stuck ring- you stated you pulled the plugs and fogged the cylinder- did you replace the plugs? if not , the added expouse to air could have been enough for a ring to stick

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I reinstalled the plugs after spraying the first time. Would a stuck ring allow me to turn the engine easily and then suddenly bind up?

I will also pull the valve covers when I get a chance. We will be getting lots of rain from the hurricane starting tomorrow, so no outdoor repairs will be possible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Update: I was looking at what I'd need to take off to remove the valve covers and thinking it would be great if I could just oil the valves directly without having to remove the covers. Then I had an idea. I realized I had some access under the covers via the oil fill and PCV holes on one side and a breather hose on the other. I used the same Amsoil fogging oil I'd sprayed in the cylinders with a long thin tube and sprayed the **** out of it in every direction I could under the valve covers. Then I rotated the engine back and forth through its free rotation, testing gently for the obstruction. On about the third cycle, there was no more obstruction. I could turn the engine freely until I wore my arm out. I'm not sure how many times I turned it over, but it was a lot.

I'm going to monitor it over a few days to check that it doesn't re-stick, but if the problem seems to be fixed, I may move ahead towards trying to start it. Knock on wood . . .

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,287 Posts
Keep us updated. Some video for "first start" might be cool too!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: On advice from my local mechanic, with plugs out and ignition disabled, I cranked the engine with the starter. It turns over just fine cranking in 15 second tests. According to the dash gauge, oil pressure was up close to 50psi in about 5 seconds. I guess one advantage of doing it this way is that the engine is now oil-primed.

That's a big sigh of relief.

Next steps are to replace the fuel filter, get some gas to the engine (tank was drained), and see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts