S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ryda Fo Life!!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Damn cold midwest weather playing hell on my truck.When i start it up in the morning or after sitting for awhile the engine shakes violently for 20 seconds to a minute.It has to be cold to do this and when it does this it seems like it wants to die.Anyone know what the hell this could be i hope its nothin serious.If you can think of anything jus holla back im taking any ideas cuz i really need to fix this

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
does the rpms drop way down at the same time? Im assuming it does and when it does does it throw a code? It could be your ait is going and cant figure out what in the hell to do or something is messing with the throttle position sensor like the cold and its confusing the computer. check it out and fill in my blanks.

·
Ryda Fo Life!!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually it doesnt throw a code nor drop in rpms in jus shakes the whole truck violently for a few seconds while at normal idle the it jus stops.

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
I have no idea what is going on with your truck, so I'm just gonna throw a couple ideas out for ya. Is anything freezing? Are your motor mounts ok?

·
Ryda Fo Life!!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im pretty sure i need new motor mounts so im gonna replace em once i get a warm day or a garage to do it in but i doubt that is the cause of since it doesnt do it when its warm but hell i really dont know.as far as anything freezing im not too sure about that but if something were to freeze you would think it would do it for more than a couple seconds.thanks for all that help guys looks like imma have to take it to a shop but that is what i was hoping to avoid.

·
Registered Abuser
2,375 Posts
What type of oil are you using? Could it be too thick now that its gotten colder?

·
Ryda Fo Life!!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im not sure right now im about to get a oil change. i just got the truck like a month ago and i jus now have the money to get a oil change.im gonna go with valvoline max life what weight do you recommend?

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
If it gets butt cold where you are you are going to want to go with a lighter weight oil than the normal recomended 5w30. You probably want to check out your owners manual if you got one. It should give you recomendations for different temperature ranges.

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
Maybe your gas is freezing.There is always some% water in gas,usually the places advertising the cheapest gas in town will have alittle more water in it.They make an additive you can put in your tank that is at most auto stores.

·
Ryda Fo Life!!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i can rule out the gas. the gas i put in is the highest priced 93 octane in town from a shell station.i know its ridiculous for a 2.2 but i wanted to get the most outta my little baby. lol

·
Do what now?
747 Posts
actually don't rule out gas. Just because its Shell doens't meant that it won't have an exceptional amount of water in it. About the only good way to rule out excessive water in the lines would be to get some HEET from Wal-Mart. Try that first since its only about a dollar for a bottle of it. If that doesn't seem to do anything, I would probably agree with the oil. They might be putting in to high of a weight oil. I would do the oil change yourself. That way you know for sure that you actually have 5w30 in the engine.

·
Ryda Fo Life!!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks alot guys you have gave me some ideas as to where to start and that is what i needed now its time for the troubleshooting woohoo.

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
And honestly,drop down to 89 octane you only need to run 93+ w/high compression motors(10:1+) or if you have a computer chip that instructs you to use 93 because of timming changes.You would just be wasting money and creating carbon build up other wise.

·
(Custom Truck)
13 Posts
supr2nr is right dont rule out the gas. I agree 93 octane is to high for the 2.2L motors. I learned the hard way, all the plugs in my truck were carbon up pretty bad. I use to live in ILL and 90% of the time when my truck would start or when it would shake like that, it was the gas and I had to push it in the garage to let it warm up so it would thaw out the lines and all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts