S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
cokehead
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, was trying to get coverage on my paint and wheels, pretty much the whole truck to cover my ass if something were to happen. well, my mom told the insurance company (nationwide) that i had air suspension and that it lifted more than 4", which is what there limit is. so basically they will no longer cover the vehicle, and i shouldnt drive it anywhere. when i do find a new company that will insure me, they will have to come out and take pictures of the truck, and everything and measure it.

so, i can fix the part that it only lifts so much with limiting shocks, but what the hell do i do about the notch? hows that gonna work? pretty sure they will not cover that. so what do i do? am i 100% screwed? anyone else ever have this problem?

·
DeXtreme on 20/22's
4,494 Posts
wow, my insurance company just dropped coverage on my S10 too. I'm now with Allstate now and they are 100% aware of all the mods and have no problem with it. I'm paying $456 bi-annually for full coverage, roadside assistance and rental coverage.

·
VIAIR Corp
1,767 Posts
Install limiting straps and have the truck re-inspected by Nationwide... Problem solved. They won't know how large your notch is supposed to be...

·
Rarely goes over 20mph
3,163 Posts
i think allstate doesnt care about things like this, not 109% sure, i hit my head last night and i just found out i own a jimmy!

oh, i pay $200 a month for full coverage and ive never had a speeding ticket or accident

·
VIAIR Corp
1,767 Posts
i think allstate doesnt care about things like this, not 109% sure, i hit my head last night and i just found out i own a jimmy!

oh, i pay $200 a month for full coverage and ive never had a speeding ticket or accident

Ouch... I pay $135 a month to insure:

2003 Tundra
2003 GSXR 1000
2008 SCION xB
1997 Dodge Dakota

·
xtremefour
1,806 Posts
Why do they need to know what is done to your truck? They have special coverage for mini truckers?

I have progressive and all they know it that my truck is a 2000 S10, thats it.

Matt

·
Resident Wetback
11,267 Posts

wow...i pay $158 for full coverage on my truck....and i have a DUI on my record.

·
Resident Wetback
11,267 Posts
Why do they need to know what is done to your truck? They have special coverage for mini truckers?

I have progressive and all they know it that my truck is a 2000 S10, thats it.

Matt
...and if you get in a wreck that is all they will cover. Some insurance companies will cover all your mods if you let them know what they are. I have never hidden from my insurance company any of my mods...

·
Hello
11,397 Posts
can you just keep it aired up to a certain height and not hit any switches when they come out?
I just talked to my insurance company the other day and told them I want to have it insured for a set price and I need to get an appraisal on it. I can do that by any appraiser. They also said pictures are important... and we all know I have tons of those! and every receipt from my projects.

·
cokehead
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the thing was i was trying to get a set amount covered. if i get in a wreck or something stupid happens like getting hit in a parking lot, i want it 100% covered. so it sounds like allstate is the best bet. but im 19 with a wreck on my record. most wont cover just because of that. no experience and a wreck, which they say was me at fault. but apparently when your get hit driving through a parking lot its your fault. some how.

·
i hate noobs
457 Posts
when i built y grand am nationwide dropped me cause i had "to much invested"..nationwide is not on your side....and niether is geico...the second i told them it had a mautofied suspension they said they couldnt cover me..i think progressive is the same way..cant remember

·
Dropt Out
671 Posts
all insurance companies are the same a bunch of jack offs. When my s10 was under erie with my parent they dropped it cuz it was lowered and had a set of wheels on it....but that was like 2-3 years ago.

·
Canyon Carver
2,855 Posts
I'd go with a specialty car insurance. Insurance companies say they will cover modified stuff, but when the time comes, their prices are way off. If it's a modifed truck and piece of crap, you might come out ahead, but if it's modified and done nicely, you're only going to lose.

Example, no regular insurance company is going to pay the $1000+ to replace my two fog lights.

·
DeXtreme on 20/22's
4,494 Posts
I'd go with a specialty car insurance. Insurance companies say they will cover modified stuff, but when the time comes, their prices are way off. If it's a modifed truck and piece of crap, you might come out ahead, but if it's modified and done nicely, you're only going to lose.

Example, no regular insurance company is going to pay the $1000+ to replace my two fog lights.
the problem with most specialty car insurance firms is they require that everyone in the household that has a DL have a designated car that does not include the truck or car you want covered. most of them also limit the mileage per year.

·
US Beer Drinking Team
7,156 Posts
ok i have posted a few posts about this... please remember each state is different and each company is different. i will try my best to generalize. most insurance companies will not willing insure our trucks. they are modified and alot of them have modified frames. not happy for insurance companies.

now if you are looking to cover things like paint and expense rims and link setups and all of that, ask your agent about an agreed valuation. most to all insurance companies insure vehicles on an acv basis (actual cash value) which is the replacement cost (cost to replace) minus depreciation.

Agreed amount is where you decide on an amount the vehicle is worth and if the vehicle is totaled that is what you will get. You will pay more for an agreed amount but if you total your truck you will get what you want.

As far as once you get cancelled your pretty well done. Once nationwide sees you have heavy modifications, they will not re-insure you, limiting straps or not.

Most insurance companies will give you a small amount of coverage for rims (usually like $500). If you want more coverage you have to buy it.

Questions?

·
US Beer Drinking Team
7,156 Posts

there are alot of specialty companies that do antique cars and show cars but yes you will pay for what you get.

the problem with most specialty car insurance firms is they require that everyone in the household that has a DL have a designated car that does not include the truck or car you want covered. most of them also limit the mileage per year.
they will want to cover everyone, as with any insurance company, but you can also have everyone specifially excluded. not good if they were to ever drive in your truck, but no premium chraged for them.

well the thing was i was trying to get a set amount covered. if i get in a wreck or something stupid happens like getting hit in a parking lot, i want it 100% covered. so it sounds like allstate is the best bet. but im 19 with a wreck on my record. most wont cover just because of that. no experience and a wreck, which they say was me at fault. but apparently when your get hit driving through a parking lot its your fault. some how.
agreed value

can you just keep it aired up to a certain height and not hit any switches when they come out?
I just talked to my insurance company the other day and told them I want to have it insured for a set price and I need to get an appraisal on it. I can do that by any appraiser. They also said pictures are important... and we all know I have tons of those! and every receipt from my projects.
problem is if you crash and they see that the truck was heavily modified and not really what you said it was, they CAN deny your claim. they may or they may not, but they can.

·
Ls1 Bagged
1,186 Posts
i had the same problem with progressive with a drop kit they would cover everything but that, i went back to state farm they will cover everything including air ride

·
goin over the falls
1,289 Posts
I hope this doesnt come off as being rude, because it is not meant to be.

If you drive the vehicle and not trailer it, you really should have specialty insurance. We all know the story of "well my friend's cousin got in a wreck and all he had to do is show the receipts for everything he had done and got that money back." It doesnt work that way. Insurance Companies are just like any other business, they are there to make money, but now at the same time to protect your investment. I am switching to Hagerty at the end of the year because it is for classics, collecters and show cars with no milage limits. I have Allstate right now and i just have everything on record with them, but i use an agency, not the 1-800 number where they dont give a **** who you are. I go to the agency that has been dealing with my dad for 30 years, I do exactly what he says to make sure my truck is protected. You need to get it apraised and definately stay away from your everyday auto insurance and go to a specialty company. They can sometimes be cheaper too.

Right now to have every last thing covered on my S10 and have full regular coverage on my blazer i pay $1200 a year and i expect it to go down once i switch my s10 off of that plan.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts