S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up an 03 s10 completely stock, was a work truck for the city before I got it and it has something going on electrically that I cant figure out. The radio, headlights, cluster gauges (except for voltage and oil psi) dome lights, and footwell lights will not come on unless the headlight switch is turned to the on position, unless the auto headlight sensor detects that its daytime then in that case nothing will come on at all. Whenever everything is not working I also cannot read codes either until power comes back, and as of now there are no codes present that I can see. If I press the dome light button override button repeatedly it can cause everything to shut off no matter what position the headlight switch is in. I've replaced the headlight switch twice, ignition control module, swapped radios, swapped clusters, checked the grounds on either side of the dash against the firewall, checked the ground running below the battery tray and nothing has changed. this issue only effects the interior and the headlights, it does not effect the engine at all, it will start up and drive no problem no matter the state of the interior. please help before I drive this truck straight into the gulf

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will also add that the turn signals, wiper blades, and everything on the multifunction switch seem to work as they should

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
picked up an 03 s10 completely stock, was a work truck for the city
a city work truck has probably been hammered on by everyone who drove it and or serviced it.
sometimes, its money well spent to take the vehcile to a shop and have it diagnosed.

·
time to get cereal
5,657 Posts
Sounds like the dash harness might be damaged somewhere, or the BCM may be malfunctioning (though that isn't very common).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the dash harness might be damaged somewhere, or the BCM may be malfunctioning (though that isn't very common).
Yeah this weekend i more then likely will be pulling the entire dash to get a a look at everything, so far everything i see from below and behind the bezel seems untouched, so i dont know how it could have been damaged.

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
329 Posts
Yeah this weekend i more then likely will be pulling the entire dash to get a a look at everything, so far everything i see from below and behind the bezel seems untouched, so i dont know how it could have been damaged.
FWIW, you may want to also check out all of the HVAC controls/ dampers/ blend doors/ actuators if you pull the dash. It's one of those "while you're in there" things to review.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW, you may want to also check out all of the HVAC controls/ dampers/ blend doors/ actuators if you pull the dash. It's one of those "while you're in there" things to review.
the only thing that does work good in the interior is the ac lol

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
329 Posts
the only thing that does work good in the interior is the ac lol
I suggested that because if anything in the HVAC system was amiss, it usually entails dash removal to address. Sounds like the electron gremlins are busy on you truck (pesky little buggers!). Best of luck tracking down the problem, and let us know what you find.

·
Been there Done it
12,477 Posts
Look under the top of the carpet on the passengers side in the upper corner near the trans tunnel. There are a couple of critical grounds at that location.

·
Been there Done it
12,477 Posts
That's them. Yours look fine. If they were loose or damaged you can have all kinds of weird electrical issues with the dash. You might also want to check on the engine side of the firewall that the cab is grounded to the block or heads. Usually a narrow ground strap on the late trucks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
SP-105: located on the driver's side fender near the battery
SP-106: located on the Passenger side fender behind the engine airbox
These have multiple grounds in connector.that is grounded to the fender by a single bolt, and get corroded inside SP-106 has a ground for the Data link connector, headlamp dimmer switch ground amoung others (15 circuits get their ground here. 19 circuits on SP-105. Sounds like a open ground allowing vlotage to feedback into other circuits.106 also has the blower motor ground and that wire gets very hot and can melt the connector.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These have multiple grounds in connector.that is grounded to the fender by a single bolt, and get corroded inside SP-106 has a ground for the Data link connector, headlamp dimmer switch ground amoung others (15 circuits get their ground here. 19 circuits on SP-105. Sounds like a open ground allowing vlotage to feedback into other circuits.106 also has the blower motor ground and that wire gets very hot and can melt the connector.
Will definitely check everyone of these this weekend and report back with what i find!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

These the gounds your referring to sp-106? Just see two grounds and they both look good

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMHO don't assume looking good is good.
Don't ask how I know this.
Take your dremel tool and clean them up and then add a protective coat of something just because you can.
Liquid electric tape is what I use.

Reactions: aitch

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IMHO don't assume looking good is good.
Don't ask how I know this.
Take your dremel tool and clean them up and then add a protective coat of something just because you can.
Liquid electric tape is what I use.
I took them off and sanded the area down to bare metal, cleaned everything off and still nothings changed, i also pulled the splice pack apart and check it and nothin

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took them off and sanded the area down to bare metal, cleaned everything off and still nothings changed, i also pulled the splice pack apart and check it and nothin
Electrical issues can be madening but Step by step...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts