S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently failed my California smog check due to a non CARB compliant catalytic converter. I was using a Magnaflow Y-pipe that was legal when bought & installed (prior to 2008), but I guess CA finally decided that all converters must now have a CARB number stamped in the casing.

Here are some comparison photos of how the design has changed in the past 12 years.

·
It's mostly BS
2,747 Posts
No improvement in emissions, more junk in the landfill, and a wallet flush. I hope you begged for forgiveness.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not to knock your state but I'm soooooo glad I don't live in Calf. My state stopped test at least ten yrs ago and guess what..air quality hasn't suffered. Here in Fla it was nothing but a multi-million dollar scam that made life miserable. Just to give you a idea of how screwed up it was, you could fail at one station and take to another the next day and have it pass. I had one idiot fail me because she saw one drop of oil under my truck...

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,203 Posts
Air quality has...or hasn't suffered. If it has....poor planning on Floridas part.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,203 Posts

·
time to get cereal
3,200 Posts
Cali can't be that bad... most of the craziest vehicles I've ever seen reside in California. I am glad the only time I can see smog in St. Louis is in old pictures.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are you going to do with the old y pipe?
I was thinking about selling it, but at minimum it needs to be shipped out of state which I'm sure isn't cheap for something of it's size. I did end up using the old drivers side pipe, as the new one must have had some weld splatter in the o2 sensor bung. I will include the new (damaged) pipe as part of the package.

I also have some other used exhaust parts that you may be interested in:
  • Gibson ceramic coated 4.3 shorty headers (that are CARB certified for 96-98 I believe) similar to these: Gibson Headers GP117
  • Edelbrock painted 4.3 mid-length headers similar to these: Edelbrock 68543
  • Blazer Y-pipe (larger diameter than the S-10?)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cali can't be that bad... most of the craziest vehicles I've ever seen reside in California. I am glad the only time I can see smog in St. Louis is in old pictures.
Car culture is huge in California. Off the top of my head, here are the companies located in my general area: Belltech, McGaughys, Whipple Superchargers, CB Performance (VW stuff), Speed Engineering (LS swap parts), Merlin Crawler (4WD parts)

I've learned that the best way to deal with the California smog laws is just to comply with them, or get something that is exempt. There isn't much performance to be gained from deleting emissions equipment anyway, and it isn't worth the risk of getting caught.

·
Old Fart
3,698 Posts
My nephew is going through the same thing right now, we put a Magnaflow high flow cat and Pacesetter headers on his Jeep Cherokee almost 10 years ago. It passed smog just fine until now, they are saying the headers are not certified for his year vehicle and the cat is not CA legal. I don't get it if they were OK before and it passes the sniffer what is the problem? No grandfather laws in CA? If it passed all those years and is still burning clean it shouldn't be a problem but knowing CA they probably just want older vehicles off the road and you to buy a new electric car. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts