S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the middle of doing a LQ9 swap and I’m wondering what everyone is running for a MAF sensor? I do need to run one correct? For the engine to operate correctly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Depends on tuning setup, you can run a speed density tune with just a MAP sensor which is very common in turbo setups, most people run the maf sensor that came out of the vehicle with the engine.

Generally speaking a "MAF" tune is better for every day driving. It enables you to run open loop with feedback from your o2 sensors and airflow readings from your maf to optimize fueling.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, it appears the new forum will not allow me to attach .hpt or .zip file. That's a bummer. Truck is a LQ4, 243 heads, LS6 cam, TBSS intake, 92mm TB, LS7 MAF, 4L80E. Here is a link to the most recent tune on my google drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13H3KKv4kyb5qe9azpKfn1mer2w2IdpSO

To use the LS7 MAF you need to move around a couple of the five wires:
A- Yellow
B- Black/White
C- Pink
D- Black
E- Tan

·
Been there Done it
6,856 Posts
What would be wrong with running the LQ9 MAF on an LQ9? Since the OP hasn't mentioned any mods to the engine, I'd think it would be the best one.
It's the same sensor used on 5.3's the same years, 99-06. It includes the IAT sensor.

·
Registered
184 Posts
LQ9 MAF (truck style) is bulky and expensive. Depending on intake plumbing, it can be difficult to find an appropriate location. The LS3/LS7 card card style MAF is only $30-$40, and can be installed in intake plumbing of virtually any size without creating a bottleneck.

·
Randy
215 Posts
LQ9 MAF (truck style) is bulky and expensive. Depending on intake plumbing, it can be difficult to find an appropriate location. The LS3/LS7 card card style MAF is only $30-$40, and can be installed in intake plumbing of virtually any size without creating a bottleneck.
Please share a part # for the card style MAF.
I'm trying to decide on cable or wire style throttle body.

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The engine is a LQ4 with LQ9 flat top pistons, gen IV Rods, 243 heads, TBSS intake, 92mm TB, tick performance stage 3 cam, 60 lbs./hr injectors

·
Randy
215 Posts
I looked at the cam specs. I am curious/interested in why 60lbs injector choice? I am considering 30lbs injectors and my cam choice is slightly larger with the Elgin E1839P.. Maybe I just dont understand the whole fuel/throttle body size thing. I'm just a trans builder and not a performance tuner guy...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m still new to the LS game so maybe my injector choice may be a little large. In the future the truck become forced induction of some sort. I still have 2 sets of stock take out injectors, one set from a TBSS and the others are from a 01 6.0 III truck.

·
Randy
215 Posts
Same here. New to the swap gig that is. Thats why I asked. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The larger injectors are helpful if you add a cheap flex fuel sensor and want to run e85. Your LQ4 is similar to mine with higher compression and a bigger cam. I'm running the flex fuel 50lb injectors and only hit 50% duty cycle with 93 octane fuel, so I have headroom for e85, or about 9psi of boost. With your build, you will be beyond the flow of those truck injectors for sure, the TBSS injectors will be OK, but give you no headroom. I think the 60lb injectors are a good choice. here's a good calculator: https://fuelinjectorclinic.com/flow-calculator

·
Randy
215 Posts
The larger injectors are helpful if you add a cheap flex fuel sensor and want to run e85. Your LQ4 is similar to mine with higher compression and a bigger cam. I'm running the flex fuel 50lb injectors and only hit 50% duty cycle with 93 octane fuel, so I have headroom for e85, or about 9psi of boost. With your build, you will be beyond the flow of those truck injectors for sure, the TBSS injectors will be OK, but give you no headroom. I think the 60lb injectors are a good choice. here's a good calculator: https://fuelinjectorclinic.com/flow-calculator
Thanks for the info. Based on that calculator I'll need 31lb injectors for 450hp at 80% duty cycle, 28lb injectors at 90% DC. So my head calculation was in the ball park for my L33 swap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts