S-10 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
the Zen of S10
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by removing the MAF screen, does that open the possibility to future problems? I just today installed my K&N gen II kit and in the process finally saw first hand what this screen looks like (looks more like a honeycomb type of screen (thick)). There wasn't any real debris to mention, more like a coat of dust than anything. I've driven this 97 for a couple of years now (bought it used) and I assume the previous owner never cleaned the screen on the MAF, so, is it relatively safe to remove this screen?
What's the worse case scenario, the cone filter falls off and the intake sucks in some bugs? Also, has anyone else that has installed the gen II notice a little vibration in the steering column at complete stop (automatic in Drive)? Is it common to have a little extra noise when first accelerating from complete stop?

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
sounds like you got the intake on with no problems cool.
just remove the 4 bolts that hold the maf together. remove the screen without hitting the wires inside the plastic part in the center. reassemble the maf. that way if you don't like it you can just put the screen back in.i have a granatlli maf its a little bigger and does not come with a screen i have had no problems with anything getting sucked in.
as fas as vibration in the steering column no idea.
the noise you hear is probably just the motor breathing better now with the intake on.

·
the Zen of S10
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey joe,

took me about 90min, just trying to make sure I did everything right, until I found out one piece was missing (the flat head allen bolt that holds the harness and "L" bracket together), went to Home Depot and got some different hardware to finish job.

what would be the drawback of removing the MAF screen? I mean, you said I could save it if I didn't like it. Does it make more noise? Or some other adverse effect? I do like the idea of being able to reinstall just in that event.

Next project? e-fan? where would I (now that I'm on a confidence roll) find one? does it cool better than stock fan. My engine seems to generate an aweful lot of heat.

thanks again for following my mess (hopefully to emerge a more efficient and faster truck)

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
pulling the screen should help a little i just see some others on the sites have problems with the ses light. as long as you are carefull not to hit the sensors inside it you should be fine.

e-fan is probable the best mod i have done. i would recomend the flex-a-lite #60 the best price you will find is at www.summitracing.com p/n flx-60 it is made for our trucks. realy easy install hardest part is getting the stock fan clutch off, after that its a piece of cake.it will run a little cooler from not having to turn that clutch and fan.you won't belive the difference.there is a really good how to on www.s-series.org towards the bottom of the home page.

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
do you guys know how much a factory maf sensor is? i should be a lot cheaper thatn the granetelli.

i'm sure you can get this cheap at a wreaking yard. if you can get one cheap, modify that and keep your factory ones.

·
Registered
213 Posts
can i cut the MAF screens on my '01 4.3L or will it throw codes

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Nah, it's all good. I popped mine out on my 01, no lights came on, and much better throttle response. Quick and easy. :thumbup:

·
Registered
213 Posts
thanks for the info, my bro is giving me all his TPI ideas to use on my truck......got a new project this for tomorrow.....thanks again

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Cool, but I wouldn't even consider it a project. It took my dumbass all of 10 minutes from start to finish with putting everything back together. The screen basically falls out when you take the MAF apart. :thumbup:

·
Registered
213 Posts
i like it the more you tell me about it......less work, i know with TPI cars thers a 50/50 chance itll work, i like the convenience of it "falling out"

·
Registered
213 Posts
are there any other "free" mods i can do......free meaning less than $50.......besides the cooler stat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.