S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do we have any machinists? show off projects, discuss....

i goof at home on a 10x22 lathe and a 8x18 mini mill.

the beginnings of a helmet lamp for trail riding at night

aluminum pancake

fork seal driver

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts

·
The Vehicle Dynamics Bro.
4,699 Posts
I am, Its not my day job anymore but I still make stuff 3 or so times a week.

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts

·
4,699 Posts
Of what Im working on? Not a whole lot at the moment.

Trying to design some valve covers for my motor... Among some other small things.

·
Slowly but eventually
2,961 Posts
I recognize the block in the first pic!!!!! Not important, or on topic, but what the hay.

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol it is your block after all.

and pics of what youre working on or whatever. any pics of the setup for that oil pan? 5 axis? what do you model with?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
4,699 Posts
LOL,

I didnt make the oil pan. Its a hendrick pan. Although I am working on a intake manifold.

·
4,699 Posts
Brush up on your math.... A lot.

·
Dems 22s
3,602 Posts
I'm going to school for this in the fall. You guys that do this have any insight for me?

Like said before me know your math. At the tech school i went to, i didnt really learn much. Of course you will learn the basics, but as soon as you get in a real shop thats when you get the education.

·
Slowly but eventually
2,961 Posts
And don't try and memorize everything, just the basics. You memorize where to find the info, not the info.

·
A work in progress...
1,451 Posts
The program here has a lot of emphasis on programming. Math isn't really my strong suit, so I may have to take some remedial classes on that. I'm going for my associates of applied science degree, so Gen ed classes are a part of it.

·
My mirror hates my sub
9,469 Posts
I've been machining for 6 years now, started in vocational in HS then went to college for 3 years, got into a medical job shop and made some huge improvements in the lathe department over the year and 8 months i was there. Just quit that job and started at a new company that makes leak down test equipment for various industries. I'm the head of the milling area, have always done my own programming, mostly on mastercam but have to switch to esprit for my new job. I am not sure if i am going to like it as much, especially since i've been using mastercam since i started machining. I've never really made any projects for myself but i have alot of ideas of stuff i want to make. I've made some powervalve side covers for my streetbike and some radiator mounts for my buddies prelude. I also got the chance to work in ridetech's machining area for a few months while the guy there transitioned into sales.

ANYWAY here's a few pics from my adventures of machining over the last few years

s10 cross shafts at ridetech

ridetech's machine shop

side cover for my rz ypvs

plumb bob i made back in HS

you can see the rad mounts i made in this pic

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
helmet cam mount. because they wanted like $60 for one

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is what i did this afternoon.

that concludes part 1

and heres some chips if anyone is hungry

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
custom titanium metal matrix composite connecting rods, made for a 2.0L running 50+psi

gorgeous

and the block they go in

1 - 20 of 74 Posts