S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah yeah i iknow this is s10 forum, but hey i could of swore i saw it on here before.. but now i cant find it. I have a buddy that just bought a set of 17" gm fullsize rims to put on his girls little nissan hardbody. now the problem is for those that dont know, is the center wheel hub is larger on the nissans and there for needs machined or bored out some on the GM wheel to fit on the nissan correctly without a spacer.

So the question is does anyone know i can find some mroe info on just how much i have to machine out on these wheels to get them to fit? I watched a little video on the net a few weeks ago with a guy showing how he bored the wheels out using a router with a special bit on it.. i was hoping to find this video again but cant. So im asking for your help, or even if ya have experience doing this or know where i look to find some more info on it.

·
What'd Geico do for you?
2,889 Posts
Yeah yeah i iknow this is s10 forum, but hey i could of swore i saw it on here before.. but now i cant find it. I have a buddy that just bought a set of 17" gm fullsize rims to put on his girls little nissan hardbody. now the problem is for those that dont know, is the center wheel hub is larger on the nissans and there for needs machined or bored out some on the GM wheel to fit on the nissan correctly without a spacer.

So the question is does anyone know i can find some mroe info on just how much i have to machine out on these wheels to get them to fit? I watched a little video on the net a few weeks ago with a guy showing how he bored the wheels out using a router with a special bit on it.. i was hoping to find this video again but cant. So im asking for your help, or even if ya have experience doing this or know where i look to find some more info on it.

my friend just bored out his titan wheels to fit on his hardbody... he was goin to use the router and bit but the router he got kept burning up... he ended up using a die grinder and the same bit... i will see what bit if you want me too... also he just marked what he needed to trim and went 4 it....there are probably better ways but it worked

EDIT: on the video was the guy wearing socks taped to his arms 4 gloves?

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i do believe that was the video im thinking of..:haha:

But either way... im an idiot and thinking of the wrong truck. These wheels are going on the Mazda B2200 instead, not the hardbody. But either way they will need machined out in the center hub area. :doh:

·
Static> Bags
2,596 Posts
Well if i had my bridgeport up and running, i would say bring then down and i would do then for you.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Definitely don't do it with a die grinder. I don't see a router working that well either. I would measure the hubs on the Mazda and then have the wheels bored out by a machine shop to slightly larger than the size you measured the hubs. It shouldn't cost too much and it will accurate, making the wheel/tire alot easier to balance than hogging it out with a die grinder.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
I bored a set of ZQ8 rims to fit on my 95 with a router.

They balanced just fine too cause of close it is to the center of the wheel.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
ive done this before on a few trucks. theres no need to pay a machine shop to do it if you have a couple air tools. also theres no need to make it perfect, it wont effect the balancing of it at all.

if you need to take a lot of material off (over 1/4") you can take it down very quickly with a 3" cut-off wheel. just run it stright into the lip and work the arc around. after that, just smooth it out with the die grinder and carbide tree they talked about earlier. if you dont feel comfortable with the cutoff wheel, you can go at it with the tree right away, itll just take a bit longer..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts